The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #1
tim 4x4 burb

How do I tell a dana 44?

I'm looking to swap my3.73 front to a dana 44 3.08. How do I tell if I have a dana front now,...do I need a dana to swap a dana, will it work?

Thanks for your advice guys,

Tim
tim 4x4 burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
TX_Mudder

Seems way backwards to go from 3.73 to 3.08, but hey it's what you want to do.

If we knew what year your burb was it would be easy to tell the difference.

Barring that, there are two ways.
One - look at the front of the axle - just to the bottom right hand corner of the differential cover, look for the number 44 cast into the housing. You might need to clean/brush the area to make sure. If it has it, it's a 44. If not, it's a 10 bolt.
Two - Look at the shape of the diff cover. If it's mostly round, it's a 10 bolt. If it is less round, it's a 10 bolt. There's a guide on coloradok5.com that explains the shape difference a little better.

Quote:
do I need a dana to swap a dana
Regardless of which axle you have up front now, you can use a Dana 44 or a 10 bolt from the 73 - 87 vintage (up to 91 for blazers and burbs.) It is a direct bolt-in. The ONLY thing you will have to change, if you go from the Dana 44 to a 10 bolt or vice versa is the front brake lines. The Dana 44 uses a larger banio bolt than the 10 bolt does. All the parts stores will sell new brake hoses and banjo bolts for cheap.
-- Mike
TX_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:38 PM   #3
tim 4x4 burb

Mike, thanks fo the help. As to why, it's more of a familymobile/highway cruiser, than a serious off-roader, but I'd get stuck in my driveway w/o the 4x in the winter. And I don't see the need to wind it up so much on the highway just to cruise at a comfortable speed.
It's a '68 w/a closed-knuckle not round front diff. , so I was looking to swap just the gear-sets, but the friends I've chatted with have said it doesn't really work, because the two are not interchangeable. Does anyone know if that is for sure?
Thank again, Tim
tim 4x4 burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
Class of 69

Another advantage of swapping to a newer axle, will be the ball joints, and availablity of disc brakes,along with a master cylinder swap.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
TX_Mudder

Quote:
Originally posted by tim 4x4 burb
It's a '68 w/a closed-knuckle not round front diff.
Yes, it's a Dana 44. The big problem with the closed knuckle axle is that the axleshaft ujoints are TINY. You would be much better off with a newer Dana44 (or 10 bolt) with standard open knuckles. And, as stated above, you would get discs as well.

Can you swap the ring and pinion? Yes, but it's still setting up gears. Setting up used gears is harder than setting up new ones and I would not recommend it. If you pay a shop to do it then yes, but honestly I would seriously just replace the axle with a newer disc brake d44. You should be able to find one cheap. I threw one away because I couldn't anyone who wanted it.
-- Mike
TX_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
racerjim

one thing you should be worried about to is not to change the ratio. if you change the ratio in the front diff then you have to change the ration in the rear to macth. if you dont when you put it in 4wd te trasfer case will bind everything relaly bad and the wakest part will break (usually a fornt axle u-joint) so it would probably be best to just put in new gears if that is your problem.

ohh one more thing. a dana 44 is a dana 44 the gears and carriers are interchangeable. dosent matter if its a ford or chev or dodge diff the dana 44 parts are the same.

good luck with it.
racerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:42 AM   #7
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

the way i always tell if its a 44 or not is look at the bottom of the housing,, if its got 2 little dog ears sticking out on both sides its more than likley a corp 10,,if the bottom of the housing is ound and smooth youve more than likley got a dana 44
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote