The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
BraveDave

Starte Shims

just got one of those hi-powered mini starters for the '72 and they supplied a couple of shims. now...i know where then go, but how do you know if you need them?

Dave
Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Starte Shims

The correct way is to get the drive to stick out and measure the gear to flywheel gear clearence. But usually I put the starter in and if it spins ok I leave it alone. If it hits the flywheel teeth you need some shims. Or if it sounds odd or does not disengage you need shims. There should have been some instructions in the box with the shims.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
cdowns

there should have been a short piece of rod in the box to measure the clearance when the starter is engaged// wshould have been an instruction sheet too
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
bigsnookmaster

I have a Powermaster mini starter and it made terrible grinding noise from the start. I had to actually machine about 85-90 thousandths off the block mating surface to get it to work right. I've talked to others who have had this problem also, shims would have just made it worse. I don't know what brand you are using, I just figured I would put this out there if others are having the same kind of problem. Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
mclairmo

I used a large paper clip to measure. I used two shims at first and it made a grinding noise after the engine started when the starter disengaged from the flexplate. I measured the distance between the teeth and it was too much clearance. I needed only one shim in order to fix it. You can't have too much or too little clearance. it needs to be just right.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
gkesseru

I went through two starters and two flex-plates and a pile of shims but still couldn't get the grinding to stop. then I bought a Summit Racing ministarter and Summit Racing flex-plate. After installation, I measured and it was perfect without any shims. Works great!!
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote