The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Unhappy Carburetor Flooding My Carb thinks GAS is free is there something wrong with my Carb?

I tried to drive my truck today made it as far as two blocks to the Gas station fueled up & it was hard to start then it stalled at the light right in front of the gas station. I started looking it over thought it was the Timming so I checked the dizzy. then checked all vacum lines. everything was good. I got it started after trying for while then it stalled again finally made it home where it died again as I pulled up in front of the garage.So I desided to check the carb thats when I noticed it was flooding. I know this is not normal Or is it? It is pouring gas as soon as I turn the key on fuel pump on engine off not from the jets but from the round things in the Carb I never noticed it before but its happening now it never did this. My carb is a 750 cfm, 4-Barrel, Dual Inlet,Proform Race Series Mechanical Secondary Carburetor. I am just wondering if something inside it broke or maybe I messed something up when I changed the intake manafold gasket last week and took the Carb off to clean the tarnish it had on it I used Brake parts cleaner and Carb cleaner to clean it up.
I attached a video to show what I am talking about just click on the photo below the fuel starts to pour out as soon as I turn the key to the on position, in the video it shows it start to pour after I reinstalled the fuel pump fuse. Please if any one can tell me what I need to do to fix this problem.Thanks again in advance for everyones help..
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Puyallup68C20

Re: Carburetor Flooding My Carb thinks GAS is free is there something wrong with my C

Sinking floats? Causing flooding?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
cdowns

Re: Carburetor Flooding My Carb thinks GAS is free is there something wrong with my C

electric fuel pump without regulator and gauge its a common problem// should b set at no more than 5psi// if you have the option of running the good old reliable mechanical fuel pump that would b the cheapest fix tho
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 05-08-2010 at 06:01 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
mclairmo

Looks wrong to me. You should have no more than 5-7 psi of fuel to the carb or it will overpower the needle and seat and flood the bowls and cause fuel to leak out like you have. Either you have no pressure regulator, pressure regulator is defective or the needle and seat is stuck open. Brake cleaner and carb cleaner is really not supposed to touch anything rubber, says so right on the can, might dissolve rubber parts. Needle and seat has rubber in it. You don't need an electric fuel pump for most street carb installations. Mechanical is best, IMO.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
franks72

You just have something stuck between the needle & seat . If you never had this problem before.

69 Camaro RS http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/fdelcoglin/

email fdelcoglin@hotmail.com
franks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Like said above I would check your needle/seat and also check your fuel pressure and regulate it. Something else to be sure to do is change your oil, all that fuel that was pouring out in your vid, and any other time you do that without the truck running has to go somewhere.

It is leaking down into your cylinders and then past the rings into your crankcase and is diluting your oil.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
mclairmo

I agree. Change the oil and filter for sure. That gasoline has essentially washed the oil from your cylinder walls. Very bad. Don't keep doing that. You don't want those rings running dry against the cylinder walls. Good luck.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Ok I have been running the truck with this set up and it was running good before. I am running a HOLLEY "Blue" Electric Fuel Pump With Regulator set at 7psi the fuel problem just started yesterday. So do I have to open up the Carburetor take it apart to check why the needle and seat is stuck open? Does any one have a picture of what it looks like inside a carb so I know exactly what I am going to Examinate.. Thanks
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Last edited by petey-pablo; 05-08-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
DaddyO

Glad I converted over to TPI..
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
hayhauler71

You could try taping the fuel bowl with a hammer handle to get the float unstuck this has worked for me many times after storing for the winter.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Ok I took the carb apart and I did not notice anything that was sticking the float wasn't stuck and moves freely. Could it be this little check valve that is not working ? Is there a way of testing this little valve I tried blowing in it from both sides but It doesn't seem to let the air I blow into it pass through even if I press the little spring thing on it.

454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Old 05-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
You could try taping the fuel bowl with a hammer handle to get the float unstuck this has worked for me many times after storing for the winter.
I did try tapping it but it remained the same.
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Old 05-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

I was reading that One good backfire can destroy a carburetor's power valve maybe mine needs to be replaced as I did have a backfire not too long ago when my timming was off.
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Old 05-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
Wrenchbender Ret

You most likely have a piece of dirt in a needle & seat. See witch side is flooding, primary or secondary. Remove the corresponding needle & seat. These are easy to do on a Holley. Remove the slotted screw on top the fuel bowl & screw the N&S out using the hex nut. Save the gaskets. Blow out the N&S, put a little oil on the O ring & screw it back in to about the same level as it was. Then put the slotted screw back in. To adjust the float level remove the screw in the side of the fuel bowl & adjust the fuel level. To adjust it loosen the screw & turn the nut CCW to raise the level & CW to lower it. The fuel should be at the bottom of the hole on the side of the bowl. The power valve can cause flooding but not running over like you describe.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I agree %100...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^now that it stopped raining I'm going to rebuild mine...

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
You most likely have a piece of dirt in a needle & seat. See witch side is flooding, primary or secondary. Remove the corresponding needle & seat. These are easy to do on a Holley. Remove the slotted screw on top the fuel bowl & screw the N&S out using the hex nut. Save the gaskets. Blow out the N&S, put a little oil on the O ring & screw it back in to about the same level as it was. Then put the slotted screw back in. To adjust the float level remove the screw in the side of the fuel bowl & adjust the fuel level. To adjust it loosen the screw & turn the nut CCW to raise the level & CW to lower it. The fuel should be at the bottom of the hole on the side of the bowl. The power valve can cause flooding but not running over like you describe.
Ok I will go back out and give that a try Im not sure I know what the seat is but I will open it up any way and give it a cleaning & check it out thanks.
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Old 05-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Ok so I went out took it apart and cleaned everything hooked it back up and let it fill with fuel it was looking good No running over. BUT theres Always a but the fuel regulator is tripping I think it is going bad. It goes past 7psi the setting I had set it to. it keeps climbing. Is my fuel regulator no good ? It wasn't doing this before at lease I never noticed it. It was always on the 7psi.
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Im going out to buy a new fuel regulator hope this solves my problem. I will let you guys know if this works.
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Last edited by petey-pablo; 05-08-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #19
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

I've been at this since 9am this morning I give up, Im ready to SELL THE TRUCK as is ANY OFFERS... The running over of fuel in the carb has stopped maybe its fixed who knows but it isn't pouring out anymore. Now I thought the fuel regulator was bad due to the gauge psi going over the set 7psi. Now thirty dollars latter New fuel regulator its doing the same maxing out at about 12Psi and fluctuating and it doesn't let me set it any lower it moves up but not down,maybe the gauge is bad ? But the pouring of the fuel has stopped Now.
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Last edited by petey-pablo; 05-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
OhOneWS6

Replace the gauge. I had that exact same issue with climbing pressure on my boat just last week. It was even the same Summit gauge. Sounds like you have some trash in the line. I would replace the fuel filter as well. Trash could cause both the issues you have been experiencing.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 05-09-2010 at 10:17 AM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
pat 70/71

I would try the standard mechanical pump for sure and as a baseline change the carb out to a known good carb then take it from there . that might be what will it do for ya. don't know if someone already posted this if so, sorry. best of luck, Pat

Last edited by pat 70/71; 05-09-2010 at 12:32 PM.
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 AM   #22
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Problem solved who knows what it was I took the carburetor completely apart for cleaning again last week and back together again and it fixed the problem. Now I just need to set My Idle Mixture screws because I moved them and don't remember how they were set..
454BBC TH400,Posi

454BBC TH350,Posi Sold