The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
tractorsx

Need help picking a 4in lift kit.

I've been trying to research for one online but am getting more confussed about them. What I want is a simple 4in soft ride type lift that comes complete with front, rear springs, shocks, and all the needed steering stuff all in one kit. Can anybody give me any reconmendations for one. It will need to fit a 71 chevy 4X4 3/4 ton.
tractorsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Need help picking a 4in lift kit.

There is a dedicated 4X4 section of the forum down the page further... Ask this in there (or maybe the mods will move it).

There are more 4X4 nuts hangin' out in there than the open forum area.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
tractorsx

This went down off the page so fast I'm going to bump it back to top one time before moving it to 4X4 or suppension pages. Thanks
tractorsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
mstrav1973

I would try 4 wheel parts, their number is 1-800-421-1050. I dont think anybody can beat their prices. You could also go to the store down the street grab a 4wheeler magazine and call one of those companys. Sounds like you need everything inlcuding shocks, steering arm or drag link, break lines and you might as well get a steering stabalizer kit as well. What tire size you shooting for?

Matt
Old 05-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
mstrav1973

also as stated, you should move this to 4x section as some guys over there never look around in the other sections. Your question is a strictly 4x question that the general population on here will overlook and fall of the page as you have already seen.

Matt
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrav1973 View Post
also as stated, you should move this to 4x section as some guys over there never look around in the other sections. Your question is a strictly 4x question that the general population on here will overlook and fall of the page as you have already seen.

Matt
Why is that??? I am a 4x4 nut as someone put it, but aside from one extra axle and a transfer case my truck is essentially just like everyone elses. Also 90% of my issues aren't 4x4 specific and I hang out here all the time. We don't have a seperate forum for lowered trucks and if someone asks about dropping their truck we don't say hey move this to that section. I have asked a few questions and if anyone thinks it is just a 4x4 question they want it moved. Alot of people that now own 2wd trucks now and never go to the 4x section and may still have an opinion they can ad. I ain't complaining I love this forum and will do ANYTHING to make it better just curious why everyone seems so determined to keep anything that may be 4x4 related out of this open forum. But we can discuss lowered trucks all day.

To the OP, I am wanting to do the Skyjacker 4" lift kit but you can get a rough country lift for $350 here so it is hard to pass those up because they are actually real good lifts and very affordable.

Again to everyone else I love this place and ain't causing trouble this board is awesome

Last edited by Quackaddict; 06-01-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
mbgmike

Quote:
I would try 4 wheel parts, their number is 1-800-421-1050. I dont think anybody can beat their prices. You could also go to the store down the street grab a 4wheeler magazine and call one of those companys. Sounds like you need everything inlcuding shocks, steering arm or drag link, break lines and you might as well get a steering stabalizer kit as well. What tire size you shooting for?

Matt

We can always beat 4 wheel parts on prices
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
mbgmike

if using the SKyjacker you need these parts if 4 bolt steering knuckle

C224AS
C240S
N8051
N8041
GMDL4 or CA100
CR14S

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-01-2010 at 07:12 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
mstrav1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackaddict View Post
Why is that??? I am a 4x4 nut as someone put it, but aside from one extra axle and a transfer case my truck is essentially just like everyone elses. Also 90% of my issues aren't 4x4 specific and I hang out here all the time. We don't have a seperate forum for lowered trucks and if someone asks about dropping their truck we don't say hey move this to that section. I have asked a few questions and if anyone thinks it is just a 4x4 question they want it moved. Alot of people that now own 2wd trucks now and never go to the 4x section and may still have an opinion they can ad. I ain't complaining I love this forum and will do ANYTHING to make it better just curious why everyone seems so determined to keep anything that may be 4x4 related out of this open forum. But we can discuss lowered trucks all day.

To the OP, I am wanting to do the Skyjacker 4" lift kit but you can get a rough country lift for $350 here so it is hard to pass those up because they are actually real good lifts and very affordable.

Again to everyone else I love this place and ain't causing trouble this board is awesome
whatever, if its a 4x question typically people with a "4x" are going to be more apt to have an answer. thanks for the wasted comment.

Matt
Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #10
Marc33

so, i have been in the off road ind for 20+ years and I will try my best to give you an unbiased answer.

If you want lowest price, that is a completely different question than what is best.

Pro Comp style kits are cheap. Cheap cost and cheap quality. Its easy to offer a lifetime warranty on a part that costs 10 bucks that you sell for 129.99

In my experience companies like Deaver make the best springs you can buy. Add a quality Bilstein shock and you will love your truck.

Companies like superlift and skyjacker are good medium priced kits. No complaints there.

Your shock will make a huge impact on the ride and usability of your truck. Do not buy 200 ea springs and 29.95 shocks. Buy quality shocks that are the right length. Bilsteins, Foxs, King, etc. Worth every penny. Completely rebuildable( some of them, not the Bilstein 5100's)

Just my 2 cents.

SOLD:
1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2500 2wd
1972 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
1966 Chevrolet C20
1972 Chevy Suburban 4x4 1500
1956 Chevy 150 2 door post
1956 Chevy 2 door post bel air
1968 Chevrolet C20
1958 Ford Thunderbird
1968 4x4 Suburban 1/2 ton
Marc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Quote:
whatever, if its a 4x question typically people with a "4x" are going to be more apt to have an answer. thanks for the wasted comment.

Matt
Your welcome I could say the same to you.

I also agree with what Marc said about quality costing $$$. The OP had mentioned simple and complete that is why I mentioned the Rough Country because they are very simple and very complete and if you are on a budget very affordable. I ran one on my old blazer and didn't have any issues but I never put it in any real bad situations. My rig is not a hardcore trail rig and also isn't a street queen so that is why I was looking middle of the road at the Skyjacker kits. I was thinking of upgrading the shocks though as that technology has come a long way.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote