The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 AM   #1
33shooter

Where to start?

Hello folks, I'm new here and this is post #1. First let me say, I am actually a Ford fan and have never owned a Chevy. Having said that let me explain why I am here. Last weekend my grandfather gave me a truck! He decided that of all the people in the family that I should have my Great Grandfathers Chevy truck. I was blown away, and am really excited because I was starting to look for a project vehicle to work on, and now I have it. When I started looking around and doing research I came here and found a wealth of information. I have quickly become a big fan of these trucks! So, don't hold it against me that I'm a Ford fan, I have also owned dodges. But I've never owned anything but big 3 cars and trucks.

With that out of the way. I am now the proud owner of a 1970 C10 long bed. Here is a starter picture.

My grandfather bought this truck when it was 2 years old, used it on the farm in West Texas for a few years before giving it to my great grandfather. Grandad (great grandfather) used the truck until he passed in 83. Then my grandfather took the truck back and used it again on the farm as he needed until the mid 90's. It then sat in the barn unused for about 15 years.

It runs...sorta, and is pretty straight. The brakes are shot, the total system is badly needing to be fixed or replaced. The bed rails, bed, and front of the bed are pretty beat up from being a work truck. It also has a hole in the bed from a fifth wheel ball. The rest of the truck is not in terrible shape minus the interior, rats had a home at some point. Cancer has not been spotted, and there is even paint still under the floor mat. The engine oil has gas in it, and looks to need an overhaul, among other things. It has a little over 80K on the odo. Wiring looks to be all dry rotted, and could be a fire hazard.

It is equipped with a 350, auto trans, A/C (unknown if the system is salvageable), and a long bed.

What I want to do:

I want to rebuild the motor with a warm 350, or 383, nothing wild. Replace the transmission with a beefed up 700r4. Convert it to disc brakes. Replace the suspension system. Repair, or replace the AC. Convert it to power steering. Service the rear, and possibly change the gears depending on what happens with the transmission (might keep the stock trans still undecided). I also want to paint the truck so it looks nice, and restore most of the interior.

I want to drive the truck as a daily driver. I commute 15 miles one way, mostly interstate, to work. 32 miles round trip every day. I need AC cause I live in Texas, and I would like to get decent mileage (though, that is relative I guess).

I have never rebuilt anything on this scale. I was hoping you guys here could give me some advice, and point me in the right direction. I've been lurking for a few days reading and think that I'm on the right track. Any advice would be great. I will post more pictures in a few days. That is a picture from my phone. I'll see if I have one or 2 more I can post up.

Thanks for any help you can give. Thanks for looking.

33shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
33shooter

Re: Where to start?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

from NC shooter....looks like you have a great story to go with a great truck...I will not hold it against you that you were originally on the dark side though

I think you are going in the right direction on your quest to rebuild this one....I say continue to read through the build threads....there are many and lots of fantastic ideas over there.....be sure to pick yourself up a Factory Assembly manual (around $35), although it's not in any particular order, lots of great pictures for disassembly/ assembly...continue to ask lots of questions....lots of help on this forum with lots of great people...
Good luck with this build, take lots of pictures (we love pictures here), and keep us posted on your build up....

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
to the board....

I agree with everything Geoff said and there is plenty to read on here.

As far as the gas in the oil, the Quadrajet carbs are known for leaking gas from plugs in the base of the carb. This gas runs through the engine and ends up in the oil pan. Change the oil & filter and rebuild or replace the carb and I bet you won't have any more problem with gas in the oil.

Repair or replace one thing at a time starting with the safety items. If the bed is solid I would consider fixing it. Too many people make the mistake of tearing the whole truck apart, then become overwhelmed with the task of putting everything back together and just give up....

A lot of parts are available at your local auto parts store or through the parts vendors that post on this board...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-14-2010 at 09:10 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here's the advice you don't want to hear.
Unless you know someone on "Overhauling" You are looking at several thousand dollars and a couple years of work and that's doing the job yourself.
Get a small, reliable, good gas economy car, for a few hundred to get you to work, and go to work on that truck as you get time. If you are lucky you might get 15 MPG on the highway with it. Even if you got it finished in a couple months you wouldn't want to rack up the mileage on it at the rate of 30 a day.
BTW welcome to the boards.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I would start with the little things like changing fluids and general maint. Get it running, moving and maybe roadworthy and then make your decision how far you want to go with it. You might be surprised by how far a tuneup, fresh gas and a good cleaning/waxing goes. Welcome.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
33shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Here's the advice you don't want to hear.
Unless you know someone on "Overhauling" You are looking at several thousand dollars and a couple years of work and that's doing the job yourself.
Get a small, reliable, good gas economy car, for a few hundred to get you to work, and go to work on that truck as you get time. If you are lucky you might get 15 MPG on the highway with it. Even if you got it finished in a couple months you wouldn't want to rack up the mileage on it at the rate of 30 a day.
BTW welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I understand that it will take time. I'm really not too worried about putting mileage on it, my grandfather would want me to use it. I figure the mileage will be around there.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
33shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
to the board....

I agree with everything Geoff said and there is plenty to read on here.

As far as the gas in the oil, the Quadrajet carbs are known for leaking gas from plugs in the base of the carb. This gas runs through the engine and ends up in the oil pan. Change the oil & filter and rebuild or replace the carb and I bet you won't have any more problem with gas in the oil.

Repair or replace one thing at a time starting with the safety items. If the bed is solid I would consider fixing it. Too many people make the mistake of tearing the whole truck apart, then become overwhelmed with the task of putting everything back together and just give up....

A lot of parts are available at your local auto parts store or through the parts vendors that post on this board...

LockDoc
I didn't know that about those carbs, I'll give that a look.

Thank you, and everyone for the responses. I appreciate it. Any tips or advice is welcome!

Edit to add: Hey does anyone know whats the best way to add a 700r4? Could ya'll give me some help and let me know what parts I'm going to need and who makes them? Does any one make a "conversion" kit, or make a specific drive shaft for that set up? If not, I know that I'll have to have a drive shaft made, but was wandering if ya'll knew anything different.

Last edited by 33shooter; 05-14-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I agree with getting it running.80K isn't a lot of miles on a 350.Go fot it and see how it runs.Brakes are available at any auto parts store.After setting that long I would replce all 4 wheel cylinders,the shoes and the MC.Probably need to do a new Master cylinder also.Drive it a bit after you get it running and safe .Start carrying a notebook and figuring out how you will use the truck and what things you can't live with.Then come up with a plan and stick to it.If you change the plan midstream it will cost you.Most of the mechanicals are reasonable($) to do.The paint and body are where it gets pricey.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
mclairmo

Get it running and safe with good tires, brakes, steering, etc. Put brand new 3 point seat belts in it.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
33shooter

Where can I find good steel wheels? I think those with the chrome trim rings look good. I'm gonna go with 15x8 all around.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Danny Bost

The wheels that you are asking about are Rallys. Keep an eye on craigslist and your local swap meets, they turn up there quite often. You may have to buy the chrome new but you can find the wheels. You can also find them on the for sale adds here on the site sometimes. Good looking truck, welcome aboard.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

shooter....did a quick search for ya....here...http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&s...&start=10&sa=N
Tons of stuff out there on this site for conversion to 700R4....I think I read that a 200R4 might fit without mods....just cannot find the thread right now...sorry...

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present

Last edited by gcburdic; 05-14-2010 at 04:07 PM.
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
33shooter

New pictures.

After a bath. You can see that it looks much better.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

you need a few purple power bottles under the hood! Some wax/rubbing compound maybe a new steering wheel and armor all and you'll be shinin!!!

Sweet truck! Thats awesome that its been in the family! Dont tear it all apart..TRUST ME! Its too easy and takes forever to put together. Welcome to the truck forum you will spend too much time on here. Good luck

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote