The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
nrb's70gmc

Windshield washer pump??

When i bought my truck in 2001 the windshield washer worked (i was suprized these old trucks had them lol)

anyway what controls the the washer fluid to pump out onto the windshield? is it a pump? ware is it located?

Thanks
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Windshield washer pump??

washer pump is mounted on the windshield wiper motor located in the cab up under the dashboard//a pain in the ass to work on
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
nrb's70gmc

is it under driver center or passenger dash area?
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
hayhauler71

driver side
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
nrb's70gmc

Thats exciting, working around the steering colum upside down lying on your back on the floor of your truck smashed against the seat with your legs pinned between the cab and the door is always fun. lol
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Beuford

Hey Nrb .... thats the easy part.You still have the heater controls and radio to get past.....and the defroster hoses.....it is a royal PITA.
Beuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
truckster

Or you can replace it with a more modern pump out of a newer vehicle. They spray better and it's a lot easier fix.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
glider_6969

If you have a bench seat, it's easier to take the seat out and then work on it. If you don't have a sore back before you start you will when your done.
glider_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Sillyoldman

Wow I even forgot that I had replaced mine. I don't remember it being a horrible job. I went with an original pump. I like that "click-click-click" of that geared pump.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Don, does yours have factory A/C? That complicates it...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beuford View Post
Hey Nrb .... thats the easy part.You still have the heater controls and radio to get past.....and the defroster hoses.....it is a royal PITA.
lol, ya it will probally be a while before i tackle it, i figured it would be easier taking out the danm seat so at least there is a little more room.

looks like everyone has the same problems as me workin under the dash,
S--T my back hurts after changing a darn fuse lol

but i have one up one every one im paralized on my right side so i need to reach over across my head to the right side with my left arm.

maybe i should sign up for yoga ha ha

although i was able to put a new starter in a few days ago by myself with one arm
Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #12
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Don, does yours have factory A/C? That complicates it...
No A/C. Not saying it was a piece of cake either. No doubt a/c would complicate things.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #13
badassciviv

Ah yes the ol click click of these old pumps.... It sucks when that is all you get and no squirt. I bought my truck with a busted pump but to my delight in the box of misc. goodies I found a new pump. Seems the p.o. had the plans to put a new pump in and never got around to it. It is nothing to take off your heater hoses and remove the dash gages to get your hand in behind the dash. You do have to stand on your head a lil. Well after messing around i got the new pump in and as luck would have it.... does not work. A quick trip to the Napa store and a universal pump in had for $30. I wired it in at the same location as the old one with the same lead wires, that way I still have my stock switch and oh boy does it squirt out! I bet if I pointed the nozzles a little higher I could wash the windshield on the car behind me hahaha. So if you are not stuck on having the old style washer pump get the new style. It will pump better and last longer. Cheers
83 Dodge short fleet 2x4
2000 Civic SI
badassciviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
nrb's70gmc

i dont really care if it is stock or not, i will probaly put a diffrent (than stock) pump any way.

its just one of those things than is a pain to do
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Murphy IRE

I'm getting ready for the same repair. I just bought the repair kit from LMC. I have seen another kit for $30 and the pump is on the reservoir. It just takes longer wire into the dash board switch. It's a mess under my dash. Has anyone used the external reservoir pump??? And is it easier to install?

Murphy
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I have an external pump. Wired the pump's hot wire to hot wire on the wiper motor, ground wire to middle blue wire on the wiper switch. Works well, a lot easier then messing around under the dash.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #17
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Have a look at an S10 reservoir with the pump. This looks like a pretty easy fix I just haven't gotten around to doing it.

I played with the one on the wiper motor and only got it to dribble in the cab a bit.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
grs

I put Vintage Air in my 69 Chevy. truck. I put a new washer pump in while the radio was out of the truck. Checked it and it worked. Put the dash back in. Checked the pump again, and it still worked. Checked it again a week later, and it worked. Drove the truck a week later, and the pump did not work. I took the seat back out, took the dash back out, and got a replacement pump for my new pump that was still under warranty. It works, but I don't know for how long. Good luck. THE SECOND ONE ALSO STOPPED WORKING.
See my reply below.

Last edited by grs; 04-29-2010 at 11:00 AM.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
Murphy IRE

Finally got in there to hook up the electrical. Mission Accomplished, the remote pump works, but I think the hoses are shot at the spray heads. I could see a little spray and a lot of fluid in the cowl. I guess I have to remove the wiper blades and the outer cowl pannel to get at the hoses and heads.
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
grs

My second washer pump also went out. So I bought a universal washer pump at Napa. Placed it by the tank. Pulled the hoses off of the wiper motor. Hooked the hoses up under the cowl. Hooked it up to a toggle switch. It works great, and if it stops working all I have to do is take the pump off, and buy a new one. I can take it off in about 2 minutes.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #21
swierker

Went to get my new (to me) truck inspected yesterday and it would have passed... except for the washer pump didn't work!?!?!? They wanted $170 bucks to fix it... I said no thanks.

So I got a universal pump, wasn't sure about it then got a OE one. The old one IS a PITA to get out... finally got it and realized that the OE one doesn't look like it will fit, so that's getting returned. I searched on here and found this post, should have done that first. I'm going to use the universal one and put it somewhere easily accessible.
swierker is offline   Reply With Quote