The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
HTX86chevy

need someone to help with timing and or carb adjusting

ok so, my 86 350 swb smells like gas while idling..... its either the carb or a timing issue right??

i'm only 24 y/o and alot of this is new to me so I was wondering if there is anyone that could probably help me out with these issues over a weekend or if anyone knows a good mechanic in the Houston area that has experiance with these older trucks.

i would like to remove my quadrajet and rebuild it. i have done a little research on this site and the net and im pretty sure that i can get it done, but as for checking the timing........ not so sure.
HTX86chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
irishman999

Re: need someone to help with timing and or carb adjusting

if you take apart your carb dont make the same mistake i did and remove the stopper for the metering rods, my rebuild went good except for that.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
73chevyman

if it where me hypothetically ok I would do a tune up first before you go to the timing or the carburator.. new air filter, spark plugs, spark wires, cap and rotor, and a new PCV valve..... if you still have the gas smell then your carb needs adjusting or a rebuild.... start small then dig into the big stuff first........ oh by the way change the oil too while your doing the tune up good luck............jack
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
HTX86chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73chevyman View Post
if it where me hypothetically ok i would do a tune up first before you go to the timing or the carburator.. New air filter, spark plugs, spark wires, cap and rotor, and a new pcv valve..... If you still have the gas smell then your carb needs adjusting or a rebuild.... Start small then dig into the big stuff first........ Oh by the way change the oil too while your doing the tune up good luck............jack
hey jack, recently took care of the tune up, oil change is due this week. I even took apart intake and exaust manifolds and replaced gaskets and flanges (donuts). TRUCK IS EXTRA QUIET NOW COMPARED TO WHAT IT PREVIOUSLY SOUNDED LIKE, BUT THE SMELL IS STILL STRONG!

Last edited by HTX86chevy; 06-03-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
datguysaL

how does it start? does it smoke at start up? what color?

to set timing,
1.get yourself a timing light.
2.then get up under the truck and clean your crank pulley. find the line and it would make it easier if you trace over it with a white crayon or white out then wipe it off just to leave inside the line white.
4. then clean off the metal tab with the numbers, thats above the pulley towars the drivers side also.
5. hook up your timing light to the battery with the clamps and to the number 1 plug, thats the one on the drivers side towards the front.
6. unplug you timing advance. thats the vaccum hose that goes the the little goldish lookn thing on you distributor. lol
7.start the engine and pull the trigger on the timing light and aim it at the crank pulley from above. and read where the line marks on the tab. thats your timing.
8. if u have to change it, BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! with pulleys and moving and hot parts.
9. loosen the 9/16 bolt holdn the clamp under the distributor, loosen it just a little, enough to be able to turn it with a lil muscle. repeat the steps above and turn distributor little by little WITH THE ENGINE ON. till you get the timing where u want it. then tighten down the bolt.

hey wat part of town u in? if u close enough i can probly show u instead.

the timing for your engine should be on the white sticker somewheres on your fan shroud or the core support.

Last edited by datguysaL; 06-03-2010 at 06:45 PM.
datguysaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
HTX86chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by datguysal View Post
how does it start? Does it smoke at start up? What color?

To set timing,
1.get yourself a timing light.
2.then get up under the truck and clean your crank pulley. Find the line and it would make it easier if you trace over it with a white crayon or white out then wipe it off just to leave inside the line white.
4. Then clean off the metal tab with the numbers, thats above the pulley towars the drivers side also.
5. Hook up your timing light to the battery with the clamps and to the number 1 plug, thats the one on the drivers side towards the front.
6. Unplug you timing advance. Thats the vaccum hose that goes the the little goldish lookn thing on you distributor. Lol
7.start the engine and pull the trigger on the timing light and aim it at the crank pulley from above. And read where the line marks on the tab. Thats your timing.
8. If u have to change it, be very careful!!!! With pulleys and moving and hot parts.
9. Loosen the 9/16 bolt holdn the clamp under the distributor, loosen it just a little, enough to be able to turn it with a lil muscle. Repeat the steps above and turn distributor little by little with the engine on. Till you get the timing where u want it. Then tighten down the bolt.

Hey wat part of town u in? If u close enough i can probly show u instead.

The timing for your engine should be on the white sticker somewheres on your fan shroud or the core support.
thanks for the detailed instructions, but it seems difficult. I stay in the greenspoint/aldine area...... I can drive to you if its easier that way. This weekend if your available.

It does smoke a little at start up like a white/blueish color, smells like gas.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
datguysaL

we in the same area.

but yeah sounds like its your carb, get that cleaned out first, its not hard to rebuild, but it depends on what rebuild kit you get, theres a variety of kits, and not all of them include the main parts needed. i used the b12 chemtool carb cleaner to clean my parts. but i have since upgraded to a holley 600.

ive heard of people taking before and during pictures while tearing them apart.

yeah i can check the timing. just hit me up.

Last edited by datguysaL; 06-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
73chevyman

if you took the intake off then you might have a leak in the intake improper sealing will cause this problem i'm hoping your talking about something else...... but a improper set intake can cause this too..... to much air and the carb is ritching up to compensate for it i could be wrong but quads are self adjusting but i could be wrong
Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
datguysaL

yeah, chevyman has a point..

try spraying around the intake with carb cleaner or soapy water, if there is a vacuum leak, then your engine will sputter if its leaking.. try that also. but if you did your gasket job correctly, then doubt its the cause.

post up some pics of your engine maybe well be able to catch somethng wrong.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
73chevyman

yea your carb should be controled buy the computer it's a 86 so really you don't have control of it..... just like you don't have vacuum advance you have electronic advance so your set up is different then most.... if your check engine light is on and prolly don't know it.... your problem could be a O2 sensor something stupid me i would take it to someone that has the adaptor to check it out to make sure none of the eletronics is not messing up on it....... just a thought but hey I could be wrong just trying to help not scare ya..... I had a 86 monte and thought oldschool on it wasn't use to the eletronic stuff hope in some ways this helps and all and all I could be wrong good luck....
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
redneckchevy

My '86 C10 didnt have any computer crap in it, it was HEI disp with vacuum advance, and the carb was just an Qjet, Not computer controled at all. Didnt they start that in '87?
redneckchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
73chevyman

i thought now I could be wrong they had the computer controled carb and distributer and in 87 they went to what we now see the throdle body excuse my spelling i'm been up since 2 am and too tired to fall asleep lol
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
redneckchevy

You could be right, they could have started that in '86 and i was just lucky not to have that in my truck.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
73chevyman

are you original owner or your the second owner if so the PO could of got rid of it
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
redneckchevy

I am the second owner, but there was no wiring missing and it looked like the stock disp.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
HTX86chevy

i will post up some pics tomorrow thanks guys