The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
72_cheyenne

Both Rear Wheels Spin?

I burned the tires today to see if both would spin but i dont think it does it all the time, do yall know what i may have?
Rearend is stock
limited slip?
posi?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
67chevy1series

Re: Both Rear Wheels Spin?

definatly limited slip
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
72_cheyenne

thanks, and if i were to install a mini spool , would it lock like a posi?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
definatly limited slip
???....Posi and limited slip are the same thing.....just different terminology that has been used....Posi was a Chevy term and limited slip was used by other manufacturers....

Limited Slip and positraction (posi) differentials are designed to "limit" the tendency of open differential to send power to a wheel that lacks traction and redirect the power to a degree to the other wheel of the axle. The Limited Slip and Positraction differential will send power to both wheels equally when traveling straight, however when one wheel spins due to a lack of traction, the differential will automatically provide torque to the other wheel with traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials limit the loss of torque to a slipping wheel through various mechanisms such as clutches, gears cones, and other methods dependant on the unit. The limited slip and positraction will not provide 100% lock up of the differential in extreme situations such as when a wheel completely looses traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials are recommended for daily driven vehicles and are used in many applications where traction is sometimes needed as in emergency vehicles. They are also ideal for front axles of 4x4 vehicles that are not equipped with front hubs that can be disengaged. The term "positraction" ("posi" for short) was used by General Motors years ago for their limited slip differential and has been used to refer to limited slips since.

RM

Last edited by Rack Man; 06-10-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
Rack Man

There are a few types of axles out there.

1. Open. This is where there are just spider gears in the differential to allow smooth cornering.

2. Limited slip. (posi, trac lock, etc...) This is the most common compromise between performance and road manors. This has clutches in the differential to transfer torque from one wheel to the other to aid with traction.

3. Locker. This is exactly what it sounds like. There is a locking mechanism in the differential that physically locks the two wheels together during straight line driving. It will make an audible "clicking" during cornering when it unlocks to allow differential action to occur.

4. Spool. This is the ultimate for drag racing. There is no differential at all. The carrier is one piece of steel that the axles slide into to provide equal power to both wheels all the time. There is no slippage what so ever. This is not recommended for street driving due to the stresses it puts on the drive line components.

There are more, but these are the basic ones that you need to worry about.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
72_cheyenne

Thanks Radman, u really know ur stuff!. . so would u prefer me staying with stock and not adding any components? its just a cruiser, i dont race it. i just wanna make sure both tires spin when i burn' em
Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
tim21391

honestly i would never do a locker unless your like a drag racer.. my buddy did that to his 77 nova and we towed it how and u can hear the tire chirping when we turned.. you will go threw a lot of tire with that.. and then i also hear that it twist and puts strain on your axles and over time will break.. but thats what i heard..
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
monte0185

I had a 68 Chevelle that I ran a full spool with 456 gears in for quite awhile. You do have to buy some sturdy axles though cause you will break them. The trick is to know your limitations on turning cause it only likes to go straight so any sharp turns are out of the question. You also can tell really easy if you have a limited slip or just an open diff by jacking the rear end up and with both tires off the ground spin one. If the other spins the same way its posi if it spins backwards then its an open diff. You can run a posi on the street with no issues with axles just make sure you use the GM posi additive otherwise it will make noises. Hope this helps.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

To your original question, it could just be an open diff and both tires had equal grip, or lack thereof. Then it would act as if it were "posi" or locked when it wasn't. Most often when you have a fairly healthy powertrain you'll be able to spin both tires with an open diff.

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote