The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Hello, my name is jaros44sr and I have a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzuke View Post
Replace the rocker arm with a self aligning rocker arm.
It's not as easy as that. The original "alignment" was done from the pushrod side. This is either from the slots in the heads, or from the guide-plates that are retained by the screw-in style studs...But if you try to control the rocker arm from the valve stem side (self aligning rocker arms) and the pushrod side at the same time, there will be binding of some kind. Not good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #27
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzuke View Post
Replace the rocker arm with a self aligning rocker arm.
X2 my 85 was doing the same thing we pulled the head and took it to the machine shop and found nothing, he told me to get self aligning rocker arms i got them at the local parts place told them late 90's v-8 i believe but i have had no more problems with that anymore and that was 5 or 6 years ago

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 06-10-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #28
jaros44sr

All right guys, I'm getting conflicting thoughts here, I'm not saying these self-aligning rocker arms aren't good, or that they didn't work for you, I'm just not ready to try something new to me

Seems like the best fix so far is to pull the stud, freeze the new stud and tap it in and pin it. Then buy a new rocker arm, ball socket, push rod

What do you all think, you've been great so far helping me with the problem

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #29
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
All right guys, I'm getting conflicting thoughts here, I'm not saying these self-aligning rocker arms aren't good, or that they didn't work for you, I'm just not ready to try something new to me

Seems like the best fix so far is to pull the stud, freeze the new stud and tap it in and pin it. Then buy a new rocker arm, ball socket, push rod

I like this idea too especially since you know you are going to do a rebuild down the road. As far as the metal in the carbon, it probably has a crap load of hard miles on it, right? Flush that puppy out as much as possible and run one of those rare earth magnets on your drain plug. Probably get plenty of miles out of it. good luck
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #30
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:

the self align. rockers look like the old stock rockers and bolt on the same way they just have a small tit on each side where it rides on the top of the valve same process as a old type rocker just some info if you didn't know

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 06-10-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #31
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I like this idea too especially since you know you are going to do a rebuild down the road. As far as the metal in the carbon, it probably has a crap load of hard miles on it, right? Flush that puppy out as much as possible and run one of those rare earth magnets on your drain plug. Probably get plenty of miles out of it. good luck
Yep, was goin' to flush with seafoam, these guys around here seem to really like it. Good idea on the magnet, plus I'll be changing the oil alot till I get it where I want it. Now I just have to find out where to buy parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
the self align. rockers look like the old stock rockers and bolt on the same way they just have a small tit on each side where it rides on the top of the valve same process as a old type rocker just some info if you didn't know
Didn't know, that is what this forum is all about...KNOWLEDGE, thank you

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #32
wzuke

I had the same type of rocker arm misalignment which wore a slot in the stud. I tried several new pushrods and rocker arm/ball sets, they all misaligned almost immediately. I used one self aligning rocker arm. I guess that the wear in the push rod bore and the "slack" in the rocker arm are such that there is no bind. I have driven it every day for more than a year without incident. I did checked the pushrod to make sure there was no scuffing from the pushrod bore and no abnormal wear on the self aligning rocker arm. I agree that there is a may be a chance for a bind so I would make sure to inspect it after I ran it for a few miles.
wzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #33
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Quote:
Do you have to drill out the stud hole, or can you just tap it after you remove the stud. Do you need a bottom tap
If you decide to go this route, this tool would help:http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/5306/10002/-1

Of course you can find them cheaper. Use it as a spacer to remove your old stud (or just use washers) then use it as a guide when you tap the hole for the new screw in stud so it's good and straight. No drilling. I tapped mine for a 7/16-14" base thread size with a bottoming tap without removing the heads. (Not sure if we're talking about a SBC here, but should be the same).

Here's the studs I used:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MR...5&autoview=sku

I can't say this would be stronger than putting in a new press in plug and pinning it, but I can say I'm pretty "slow" sometimes and pulled this off with no problems. Good luck.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #34
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencvn72 View Post
If you decide to go this route, this tool would help:http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/5306/10002/-1

Of course you can find them cheaper. Use it as a spacer to remove your old stud (or just use washers) then use it as a guide when you tap the hole for the new screw in stud so it's good and straight. No drilling. I tapped mine for a 7/16-14" base thread size with a bottoming tap without removing the heads. (Not sure if we're talking about a SBC here, but should be the same).

Here's the studs I used:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MR...5&autoview=sku

I can't say this would be stronger than putting in a new press in plug and pinning it, but I can say I'm pretty "slow" sometimes and pulled this off with no problems. Good luck.
If I go this route, do you have to remove any metal from the cylinder head stud boss. Seems like it would be easier to tap a hole then to try and press a stud in

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #35
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
If I go this route, do you have to remove any metal from the cylinder head stud boss. Seems like it would be easier to tap a hole then to try and press a stud in
I agree if you don't have to drill out the stud boss it will be a lot easier than pinning. If you do have to drill the stud boss, try using a reamer instead of a drill. Good luck! let us know how it works out.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #36
RustyParts

Jaros44sr, you should also check the top of the valve stem, sometimes they will wear to one side. Pretty easy to square up again using a good file.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #37
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Quote:
Nah...As long as you're using non shouldered rocker studs like the ones in the link.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote