The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
BadaSs_Cal

hey guys need some quick help.

Found a cheap 77 service chevy for sale here locally.. 350, 3 on the tree, 5 lug disk brakes brakes all around.. what would i need to change to swap from my tired 250, and 6 lug drums? any help would be appreciated. My family can help me out with it, but I like to pretend i know a little before I ask them for help.

new question.. its a shortbed... whats the odds that I can just dump my body right on top of that frame and drive off with it.. isnt the frame the same?

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926

Last edited by BadaSs_Cal; 06-14-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: new question
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
BadaSs_Cal

Re: hey guys need some quick help.

SO it looks like the biggest deal is modding the front of the frame to get the cab on.. Im pretty sure shortening the frame 2 inches is no big.. and installing body mounts would be a bit tedious, but doable.. I just think for economy sakes it would work for me to just swap the top to the new frame... has anyone seen this done or know of a build thread?

to get a v8, swb,and disk brakes... sure seems like a good price.. for what i can get a 77 truck for.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Shyguy

You are right it is possible to put the 67-72 bodies on 77 frames. Like you said it would require relocating some body mounts. I know it can be done because I saw a truck one time that looked to be a '51 Chevy step-side with 4 wheel drive.

I asked the guy if it was a Napco or what and he said no, that they had put the '51 body on a '78 4X4 frame.

I have never done anything like that myself though, but I am sure some one on here will chime in with mor info.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
raycow

Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, you want to end up with the 69 body and the 77 driveline and brakes. Is that right?

IMO the body/frame swap will be more work than swapping the mechanical parts from the 77 to the 69. The engine and transmission will go in without any problems. If you use the 69 bellhousing you can avoid a crossmember swap. You can swap the 77 front suspension crossmember and steering linkage to the 69 frame. People do this all the time to get disc brakes on the 70 and earlier trucks.

Your only real challenge will be the rear axle because the 77 has leaf springs and the 69 has coils. Are you saying the 77 has rear disc brakes or was that a typo? If it has drums, it will be less work to keep the 69 axle and have the shafts redrilled for the 5 lug pattern. You can also get aftermarket 5 lug shafts, but those will likely cost more than redrilling the stock shafts. If the 77 really does have rear discs you may be able to swap the disc parts to the 69 housing. You will still have to redrill or replace the 69 shafts.

If the disc parts won't swap, you can weld the trailing arm mounts onto the 77 housing. You will have to use an aftermarket panhard bar mount though (or cobble one yourself), because it is part of the casting on the 69.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 06-14-2010 at 01:33 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
BadaSs_Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, you want to end up with the 69 body and the 77 driveline and brakes. Is that right?

IMO the body/frame swap will be more work than swapping the mechanical parts from the 77 to the 69. The engine and transmission will go in without any problems. If you use the 69 bellhousing you can avoid a crossmember swap. You can swap the 77 front suspension crossmember and steering linkage to the 69 frame. People do this all the time to get disc brakes on the 70 and earlier trucks.

Your only real challenge will be the rear axle because the 77 has leaf springs and the 69 has coils. Are you saying the 77 has rear disc brakes or was that a typo? If it has drums, it will be less work to keep the 69 axle and have the shafts redrilled for the 5 lug pattern. You can also get aftermarket 5 lug shafts, but those will likely cost more than redrilling the stock shafts. If the 77 really does have rear discs you may be able to swap the disc parts to the 69 housing. You will still have to redrill or replace the 69 shafts.

If the disc parts won't swap, you can weld the trailing arm mounts onto the 77 housing. You will have to use an aftermarket panhard bar mount though (or cobble one yourself), because it is part of the casting on the 69.

Ray
SO even with all of that.. and cutting the 69 frame down for a swb.. would you say its still easier then just modding the newer frame? I was hoping that I could just swap everything over with minimal lag time.. but if its gonna be a pain to mod the new frame.. u gotta do what u gotta do I guesss.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

I'm in agreement with raycow...shortening frame, redoing cab/core support/bed mounts, measuring for good fit, then installing all the body panels and getting good fitment - that's much more than putting your body on a different frame. The front xmember swap is all bolt in, no cutting/welding. You could move the leaf rear to your frame with too much trouble, too...just need the brackets from the 77.

Unless you have lots of time and patience, a good welder (and skill!), you're better of swapping the good parts from the 77 into the 69, rather than swapping your 69 body onto the 77 frame/chassis.

Although, whatever you do - make sure you document it all here so the rest of can see we've seen it done! Good luck.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
BadaSs_Cal

rayrow and kcjones you talked me into it.. I think Im swapping everything over from the 77.. it makes sense. I will need to find a a bare 69 frame then.. this trucks a DD.. so cant be out of commission too long.To hell with the SWB I like my longbed anyways. thanks for the info guys.
will document everything.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
raycow

Good call, kcjones. I never even thought about swapping the leaf springs over to the 69 frame. I wish you had been around when I was planning some of my other projects. Two heads are always better than one.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote