The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #26
Mr.Scary
Project Optimus Prime

Re: resque me from 3 on the tree

Hey S10 Fan, My dad use to have that same kind of truck!!!! with a 3 on the tree too man he loved that thing and drove it everywhere, man the good ole days....... p.s. it was a ford but i still loved that thing too and thought the 3 on the tree was the coolest thing since sliced bread!!

"I said it b4 and i'll say it agian wiring is my worst enemy":devil:
Mr.Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Bigblock, oddly enough all manuals aren't an "H" patern. All light weight and most heavy trucks are an "H" patern, BUT, some A&*hole engineer at Fuller decided he would muck up the works with a "Box" patern 8 speed. It's been so long I can't remember how it goes. I think it was 1 & 2 on top then 3 & 4 on the bottom then 5 & 6 on top and 7 & 8 on the bottom. I drove one in an old Ford 12 wheel dump truck. Real hard to get used to after getting spoiled on 10 speed roadrangers and quad Macks. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #28
74 C-30
Dually Pride

haha reminds me of growing up in the 77 C-6500 with the 13 roadranger

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger

Last edited by 74 C-30; 02-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.
74 C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #29
primetime

guys, i only have 3 gears to work out. but i thank everyone for their responses helping
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
munice
regular everyday normal guy

I 'd totally stick with the tree... You don't seem them that often, at least not around here
munice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #31
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Stay with the 3 on a tree setup, driveing it is a breeze. A friend of mine has an old Benz with 4 on the tree. I have to kind of laugh when I hear people comment about haveing trouble shifting. Try to shift a qudraplex in a Mack truck. Thats what I learned on when I was a kid and drove semi for years after that until I lost my license for "high speed driving awards". jim

Older fellow around here drives a Mack B flatbed with a twin stick as a farm truck. He only has one arm and it is real busy in the cab.
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #32
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
I love 3 on the trees...they are so much fun to drive, and you gets lots of strange looks when doing so by passer-by's who don't know what one is.

Learn to drive it, you might like it.
i soooo miss my 3 on the tree i learned to drive a manual trans. with one and i loved it when i got the hang of it
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #33
Adams74Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
guys, i only have 3 gears to work out. but i thank everyone for their responses helping
Ever get the 3 on the tree shifting smoothed out? I'm going to look at a '80 C10 with a 3 on the tree in the next couple of days...I miss having a maual transmission vehicle, and the 3 on the tree is just added cool factor.
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe 350 TH400 NP208 "farm truck" getting parted out.
2016 Nissan Altima grocery getter/commuter
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #34
ebgwd

This may not be the right place, but here it goes.
I just got a 86 C10 with 3-on-the-tree. Drove it easy, since it was my first time with 3-on-the-tree. After 90 miles and no problems, I pulled in the driveway and it stuck in first gear. Would not go in reverse or any other gear. Looked under the hood and pushed the linkage and all is well again. Is it my "newbie" shifting or maybe should I replace some parts to keep this issue from coming back?
Where do you get parts?

Do you guys every downshift with 3-on-the-tree?
I was told by the previous owner that it was a "no-no" to downshift.
Any suggestions? I do not want to change the tree to a floor shifter.
I like the tree, because no one else I know has one.

At work, I drive a 10-speed forward/2-speed reverse truck.
Shifting is like breathing to me.
[/I]
ebgwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #35
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

The only gear that would try to "grind" while you're shifting should be reverse, at least with my Saginaw (I suppose a Muncie 3-spd would grind for first if you try it while moving). But that goes with what you were saying about not knowing it's an H-pattern--the other gate (which the shifter will fall into by default when you find the neutral gate) has the gears you want to cruise in.

I haven't even gone through my column as throughly as I should, but heck, PALMS?!? I use two fingers to shift, and probably would only use one if I'd regreased it and put fresh bearings in. Easier than paddle shifters.

BEFORE considering a floor shifter for it, make sure the trans is working properly. The cheapest way to do this is backwards (process of elimination on the shifter first). Go through the shift linkage (see Greenmachine's thread in the FAQ section) and make sure everything is where it should be, no bent linkage, the tongue for the shifter linkage is engaging the blocks that the column controls (they can be chipped or out of adjustment) the $1 bushings are in place and the nuts holding onto the steering column are all tight Then make sure the bolts holding the shifter arms to the shift shafts at the tranny haven't loosened up. When you are sure everything's where it should be, you can try it again yourself or even call one of us for another demo or amateur opinion...where in NC is it at right now? My truck's biggest problem when I picked it up was the die-cast shifter arm on the column actually broke at the tip inside the column--$20 fix (your's should be tool steel in 77 so that's not a likely concern)

The reason for all this is twofold. 1) If you have a problem that's in your tranny (synchros, bent fork, throwout bearing, etc) then changing to a floor shifter costs you over $100 plus installation and doesn't solve anything. 2) if you still decide to change, you can sell your column/shifter setup as a guaranteed working unit for more than you could if the buyer hears you say "I didn't check that..." or something similar.

I'm wishing they made 5-speed shifters on the column, because I'm gonna have to change to some sort of overdrive unit sooner or later. If you end up changing trannies after all, the ones I'm considering are T-5 or NVG 3550 5-speeds from S-10's and other sources (rated up to 300 ft-lbs each) 700R4 or 200-4R (each just as strong as the other) but obviously that means I don't really plan to tow or do anything heavy with my truck (will be a shop truck when I get a shop). what would your plans be?

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #36
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams74Chevy View Post
Ever get the 3 on the tree shifting smoothed out? I'm going to look at a '80 C10 with a 3 on the tree in the next couple of days...I miss having a maual transmission vehicle, and the 3 on the tree is just added cool factor.
i just have it on hold for now. been trying to get my leaf springs in order so the 77 hasn't been on the road for some time now. i was able to pick up a spare 3speed with hurst shifter though. my uncle told me he pulled it out of a 68camaro. so if the one in the truck needs replacing i have another back up now.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
benoit454
Chris

we had a 76 3 on the tree, we just drove out the roll pin on the shifter, bought an indy universal 3 speed shifter setup for like $100 bucks nowadays, and converted it to floor shift. It was easy and cheap. Our linkage was messed up or something though it kept coming out of gear. I'd love to have another 73-80 swb truck. I like yours man just like my old one, love to have one like it.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #38
munger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973GMC_1500 View Post
Man, I miss my 3 on the tree. I loved it!
My first 73-87 (and fullsize truck), a 1973 GMC C150 307 V8 3 spd.
I don't know why you're having problems, I always thought they were easy to drive. I would leave it a column-shift.
I want another 3 on the tree again someday...
ya man that was a cool pickup ive been watching your videos to bad you recked it and the newer wheels were cool
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #39
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
we had a 76 3 on the tree, we just drove out the roll pin on the shifter, bought an indy universal 3 speed shifter setup for like $100 bucks nowadays, and converted it to floor shift. It was easy and cheap. Our linkage was messed up or something though it kept coming out of gear. I'd love to have another 73-80 swb truck. I like yours man just like my old one, love to have one like it.
hey if i can't get the leaf springs worked out like i want it might be up for sell soon. i'm tired of it sitting in the garage taking space. the wife is constantly telling me to just buy new springs from the catalog but thats like $500 after tax and shipping. i want some nice inexpensive used springs to put on it. cost effective. up here in the hills the rust has destroyed any kind of parts trucks in the junkyards, so a good set is hard to find.

i found a place to repair my old leaf springs. now i have to tackle the pulling to the right when braking

Last edited by primetime; 06-22-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: updated