The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
the_guy

Odd issue shifting from reverse to first and rear suspension trashed

I have a 77 SWB with 3 on the floor and sometimes when I leave it parked for the better part of a day and I go to back out of a parking spot the truck will back up just fine but when I put it in first to drive away it seems to have a lot of strain to the point where it has killed the engine before. It doesn't always do this and I'm not using the parking brake at all when I park it. Once I get rolling and come up to a stop sign I don't have a problems getting moving again. I thought it might be the brakes doing some sort of binding going from reverse to forward after they have been sitting for a while, but that is just a guess. I know the engine mounts are in really poor shape but I can't imagine that would affect it going from reverse to forward and not just plain moving at all. Also, the previous owner decided to put springs in the back that only have 2 leafs each and my rear end is literally sitting on the bump stops. Obviously this has it sitting really low at the moment. I plan to replace these springs asap. I want get some lowering shackles to bring the height back down and I need to know what kind of shocks I will need. This is my first real project so I'm kinda slowly learning everything. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

the_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
D13

Re: Odd issue shifting from reverse to first and rear suspension trashed

If your engine and trans mounts and springs are all shot you may be shifting the drive train around enough to bind it up. The other thing that will do this is the rear brakes trying to adjust (which they do in reverse) and getting the shoes too far out, which is a sign that the whole rear system needs a rebuild. My car would do that, then it would burn the brakes off for the first mile or so...
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
the_guy

Re: Odd issue shifting from reverse to first and rear suspension trashed

I'm leaning more towards the brakes cuz my parking brake has almost nothing holding it in the up position. :\
the_guy is offline   Reply With Quote