The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Installed the Western Chassis Flip Kit/Shackles! Pics and details included

Finally got around to installing the Western Chassis flip kit and drop shackles. In my post under "Projects/Builds, you will see I had to cut all the leaf spring eye bolts off, there fore I installed all new Energy Suspension bushings and grade 8 bolts.

I also got the Doetsch Nitro Slammer shocks with the kit since Sport Truck Direct seems to praise them. Well after reading some reviews here..... I wish I passed. Oh well, I'll have to see how they ride.

On the new WC Shackles, the bushing sleeve was too long. It would not allow install into the rear hanger, so, I shaved some of the sleeve off and they went in fine.

The flip brackets fit great. The u-bolts are bigger than the axle tube, too wide. I started a post a few weeks back about this, and there was quite a bit of debate. I ended up using them. I did a test run around the neighborhood, and nothing came loose or shifted. I will re-torque tomorrow. If I were running a blown big block pushing serious HP, I would 100% opt for better fitting u-bolts.

I posted a few hours ago, confusion I had about the bottom retaining plate. There are two holes, a center and an off center hole close to each other. I test fitted it in the center hole and it didn't seem right. Fit much better on the offset hole but now, a fellow member says it actually should be in the center.... so I will probably have to re-adjust. Seems like it's fine the way it is though. U-bolts are all spaced evenly, not like it's an obvious screw up.

Also, WC instructions state to install the bottom shock bolts inwards. Well, as another member told me, this isn't too practical as it would require you to remove the flip kit brackets/ u-bolts to change shocks. So, I cheated an installed them outwards. The passenger side shock, since it's placed on the back side of the axle, needed some "adjustment". I had to shave down the shock nut, so I could slide the bolt through and tighten. All is good though!

When I lowered it back to the ground on the wheels, I couldn't believe how low it is. The spare tire is almost on the ground, well that could also be because of the front not being lowered yet.

Driveshaft angle is better than stock!

It was a nice feeling stepping into the truck with rockers/floor boards closer to earth And the front isn't even dropped yet!

I took it for a test ride around the neighborhood. Felt fine, even did a holeshot to make sure everything was tight In the pics, you will see the tailpipes hanging down extremely low. They are cut, just dangling there. I had to cut them due to the drop. What a difference in sound w/o tailpipes! I plan to dump the exhaust directly over the rear.

I notice the driver side Doetsch shock, makes an air swooshing noise when the suspension is compressed...... maybe this is one of the reasons for the poor reviews? I sure hope they aren't already blown! Is that what the air noise indicates?

All in all, it was a good experience. It wasn't just buy the kit and go. At least for me. To sum it up, I needed all new leaf spring/shackle bolts and bushings, had to shave the WC shackle sleeves, and had to modify the shock bolts to install.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 06-17-2010 at 09:13 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
slugish
Slugish

Re: Installed the Western Chassis Flip Kit/Shackles! Pics and details included

good work > Ilike your wheels > what are they ?
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Rollinsqrbdy

Shes looking good bud.
1984 k 10 Silverado...6" lift with 38.5 super swampers
New Mexico Member
--- Member of the Square Body Club---
Rollinsqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
chevymotocross

Thanks guys, slugish, I like these wheels too. I have 4 nice factory rally's I was going to put on but I like the current wheels better.

I still can't figure out what brand they are. The center caps are American Racing but I can't seem to find these on their website or anywhere.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 06-17-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

looks cool man! congrats. can t wait to see some more pics
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
baclay9

Are you doing a 4/6 drop? Is that why the rear of the leaf is in the bottom hole of the shackle?

Nevermind, got my answer from your build thread. 4/6 Drop. Looks good man. Cant wait to see it after the front is done.

Last edited by baclay9; 06-18-2010 at 03:06 AM.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Looks good!

Glad you toom my advice on the shock hardware...you'll be thankful down the road when you throw the shocks in the garbage in favor of nicer riding ones.

While your bed is off, you should blast and paint that frame...wouldn't be hard or expensive to do.

Last edited by bigblock73; 06-18-2010 at 07:53 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
dropd80s

I didnt see it mentioned here but the flip kit should use the offset hole with the axle pushed towards the rear. This should center your wheels in the wheel wells.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd80s View Post
I didnt see it mentioned here but the flip kit should use the offset hole with the axle pushed towards the rear. This should center your wheels in the wheel wells.
Yes, I did that if you are referring to the u-shaped piece on top of the leaf springs that the axle sits on. I was referring to the bottom plate.

Oh yes, the frame is what I'll be working on next. It needs help. Thin in some areas, but nothing a little structural support can't fix. I will also be using Zero Rust on the entire frame.

Also, there is plenty of room IMO between the axle and frame. If you just drive your truck and never haul anything, you don't need a c-notch, atleast with a 4 leaf spring pack. Since the kit came with c-notches, and I sometimes use my truck to haul dirt, or motorcycles, I guess it's a good thing to install them.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 06-18-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
slamd83c10

the 2 holes in the center are for driveshaft location, the offset hole should be facing forward and thats the one to use, it pulls your driveshaft back from the trans just a bit so as to keep it from bumping inside the trans from the truck being lowered...
slamd83c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
chevymotocross

Sweet, I did it correctly then!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
dropd80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
Yes, I did that if you are referring to the u-shaped piece on top of the leaf springs that the axle sits on. I was referring to the bottom plate.
The bottom plate should be the same way, if im thinking right.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
chevymotocross

Awesome. I just went outside and re-torqued everything and took a final look at the plates. I'm no longer second guessing myself. It is correctly positioned! This weekend I will be installing the bolt-in c-notch

Dropd80s, how is Wichita Falls? I will be staying there from September till February at Sheppard AFB for training.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 06-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
ECU PIRATE

Looks good............. I can't wait until I am able to drop mine. I think I am going for a 4.5/6 drop. I am using a Bell Tech 6" flip kit/ c notch in the back
14' VW Passat SE TSI (my personal)
14' Ford Edge Sport (Daily Work Vehicle)
73' SWB Stepside - 77K org. miles
74' LWB 454/TH400 - drive train transplant for my (Sold)
98' SWB C1500 W/T - shop truck (Sold)
90' GMC Sierra SLE short step - aka " Jezabelle " (Sold)
ECU PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote