The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
NF65Fleetside

Another BBC install!!!

Sup fellas, so my lil small block is really tired and slang'n oil from only god knows where. Still running ok but I know its time to give it a rest. Ive got a lead on a stock complete 454 for a really really good price and thinking of picking it up.
My question is will it work with my 3 on the tree? Im thinking there will be interference with the linkage possibly. Also I believe I will have to upgrade to an 11" pressure plate and disc setup too yah? Now I know most will reply that the 454 will eat up the trans, I dont plan on abusing it BUT this install will be fairly temporary, so possibly the trans will stay ok with light driving and short marriage with the big block.
I plan on rebuilding the small block to mild performance status and throwing it back into the truck and then going nuts with the 454 for a future project. The 454 is basically a runner to keep me on the road while the small block is being built. Whats you guys take on this and also can the match of the 3spd and 454 be do able?
NF65Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Another BBC install!!!

I think the 3 speed will be ok behind that 454 for a while. I know guys that have abused saginaw 3 speeds behind HP big blocks and they held up surprisingly well. I think your issue may be with the clutch bellcrank and exhaust manifold or header interference. I think it is doable, but it may take some work to get it done and working. if this is to be just temporary, and the small block will be going back in, I would look for another running small block. It would be a much easier engine swap than converting to a big block IMHO.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
NF65Fleetside

Re: Another BBC install!!!

well im glad to hear the 3spd being able to handle the hp/trq....seems like the only issue might be the linkage. I have swapped a 454 into these trucks before and its a direct fitment if your not doing anything extra with the motor such as taller valve covers, huge primaries off headers, etc. As for just swapping in another sbc, well thats not too fun and plus im getting a 454 for the cost of a 350 so better payoff in the end for minor headache of fitment now if any.
NF65Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote