The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
silvervic99stang

Angry starting problems

well i recieved my pertronix dizzy from geezer#99 a few days ago in the mail, (THANKS geezer#99) I am having a hard time getting my truck to start, im going to let yall know what all i have dont to it,,, first of all its a 292 with a 3 on the tree, i have bought a new reman carb from summit 2barrel and new plugs and i have installed that distributor but im having a hard time with it
i have removed my valve cover got it on tdc on compression made sure both of my intake and exhaust was closed and installed dizzy on with rotor pointed towards #1
153624 firing order clockwise and nothing what could be wrong. or what am i missing i also have an optima batt on it but might be running low, see fuel in my in line fuel filter and nothing any advice would be great..
silvervic99stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: starting problems

Checked for spark?

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
silvervic99stang

i do have spark it did start but idle real bad then i could not get it to start again, the fuel in it been in the tank for about 2 to 3 months maybe yall think that might be the problem should i getsome hose and run it strait to another jug just to see if that what might happen
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
geezer#99

What's yout timing set at. I ran 12 deegrees initial with it. Was running good when I pulled it out. Have you got the coil hooked up right. Red to +. Black to -.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
silvervic99stang

yes i do have red to + and black to - and the other wire coming out of the harness to + i think cant remeber righ now ill look 2morrow and on the timing i cant realy set it because my dampner has floated and marking are not correct and that thing cost 3hundred + lol i just dont have that right now for that i was trying to do it by settin all the stuff right does it sound like i have?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
geezer#99

Was it running with the old dizzy in it. Pop the top off the pertonix dizzy and when you have #1 at tdc just advance the dizzy about a quarter the way to #4 post. Approximate will get you started. Sounds like it's retarded is why it won't start and runs rough if it does start. You might need to set #1 at tdc with the valve cover off again though. When you have proved tdc make a mark on your balancer with a dab of white paint. Use a touchup brush or use some wipe-out.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
silvervic99stang

i will give it a try again today after work with new fuel also i am thinking about getting a dial indicator with a magnetic base so i will know it really is at tdc
Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
SCOTI

Was your old distributor the original points set-up? If so, & you re-used the original power supply, it might not be getting full power (do the Pertronix dizzys require a full 12volts like GM HEI set-ups)?

Try running a power wire from the batt directly to the distributor.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
geezer#99

It was hooked up to the resistance wire when I had it and ran fine. On the pertronix website it warns about excessive voltage could burnout the module that replaces the points.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
silvervic99stang

ive given up, lol i went to napa auto parts today and bought all new plugs and i bought some hose for straigh hook up on fuel and starting fluid again i checked to see if i was on tdc on compression and it was rotor pointing towards #1 checked for spark with a spark tester even sanded the rotor for better spark and what do i get nothing.... what am i doing wrong have i missed something? im at the point i want to pull it with the four wheeler and popping the clutch...any sugestions
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
SCOTI

Put the original distributor back in & see if the results differ.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
neto

I would make sure you have 12 volts with key on to distributor at all times. The spark might be weak if your resistance wire is droping the voltage to low. If you have spark and fuel then it's a timing issue not getting together.
neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
geezer#99

Do you have the resistance wire and the yellow wire from the starter hooked to the + side of the coil. That's the way it was on mine.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
silvervic99stang

went out and checked voltage at the dizzy with key on and it was 11.5 so im am going to put the batt on a trickle charger to bring it up to par and give it another shot 2morrow
Old 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
geezer#99

Vic. The pertronix was part# 1162A if you need to troubleshoot it on their website.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
jocko

i'm not an expert - but I think there is supposed to be full 12V and no ballast resistor (someone with brains confirm that, please) in the circuit like there was on the points distrib. Another possible problem is the air gap between the mag pickup and the module is too great. .010-.060 is the range I think.

you said it DID start but was running rough? Sounds like it might be the new carb maybe?

Good luck, hope get it sorted out quickly - frustrating.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
jocko

here's some additional info about whether or not you should have a ballast resistor with your pertronix (copied from a website - the key is that if you have a 6 cyl, amps should be 4 or less - if you exceed that amount, you should have a ballast resistor):

"To determine if your systems coil is compatible with the Ignitor, some measurements should be taken prior to installation of the Ignitor. Caution… While performing this test, never leave the ignition switch on for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Set your voltmeter to a 15 or 20-volt scale. Attach an 18 or 20 AWG jumper wire from the negative coil terminal to an engine ground. Attach positive (red) lead of your voltmeter to the positive side of the coil, and the negative (black) lead to an engine ground. Turn the ignition switch to the run position. Now read the voltage at the positive coil terminal. Turn the ignition switch off. If the voltage measured is approximately 12 volts, no resistance wire is present. A typical resistance wire will provide 9 - 6 volts.

The next step is to determine the resistance in the primary ignition. Label the wires attached to the coil terminals and note their appropriate location. Make sure that the ignition switch is off and disconnect all wires from the coil. Adjust your meter to the lowest ohm scale. If you are using an analog style meter make sure to zero the needle.

Measure from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Write your measurement down.

Now the maximum system amperage can be determined, divide your voltage measurement by your coil resistance measurement. This will give you the system current or amperage.

Four and six cylinder engines should not exceed 4 amps. Eight cylinder engines should not exceed 8 amps. If the total amperage in your system is higher than the amount recommended for your application, you should install a ballast resistor.

Example
Voltage 12
Resistance 1.5
12 / 1.5 = 8
Total amperage 8
"
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
geezer#99

His coil is definitely compatible. It's the one that came with the pertronix kit.