The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
BIG69GMC

Distributor wont fall back in???

hey guys i have a '77-79 350 engine and i upgraded the distributor to a HEI and i cant get the oil pump to engage. is this known to be a pain in the ass or what? i dont get it? i have never had this much of a hard time with a distributor before?

thanks for you help guys!!
BIG69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
MotorHead Lon

Re: Distributor wont fall back in???

Try turning the oil pump with either a very long screwdriver, or a piece of flat steel.

All else fails, go back to the start and make sure your engine is at TDC on the number one cylinder.

I've been there I know how frustrating this is.

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
BIG69GMC

thanks Lon, yes it is VERY frustrating!!! but it is hard for me to even see down there as the engine sits too close to the firewall. but i will see if i can get a mirror to help. Thanks Lon , atleast this makes me feel better knowing that im not the only one.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
PRattenbury

Oh, so a big hammer wouldn't work. Yeah, always a good idea to be at #1 TDC. And it takes some playing to get the oil pump drive slot in the right place. You'll get it.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
BIG69GMC

thanks PRattenbury but i have been trying for over 4 days now, so i have no idea? i havent brought #1 to TDC but im going to try a partner bumping over the engine as i put some pressure on the dist. and if that dont work i guess i will have to try putting #1 on TDC.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
MotorHead Lon

As far back and down as a smallblock sits in these trucks, you'll never see down there, unless your hood is off. I have had black spots on my overhead door from the backfires caused from a dist. 180 out.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
MotorHead Lon

Here is how I swap dist. I start out by turning over the engine to TDC on the number one cylinder. When you remove the cap the rotor should be pointing towards the number cylinder. Remove old dist, put in new and point the new rotot towards the #1 cylinder. Try not to move the engine or rol the truck in gear while the dist is out, you'll lose TDC. The oil pump will sometimes move a little so the new dist wont always fall in place.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Usually if you get the gear to mesh, but it wont quite pick up the oil pump, I usually just bump the motor over until it falls the last 1/2 inch or so down.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
PRattenbury

I have had old oil crust up and form a ridge that wouldn't allow the distributor to be removed or installed. So cleaning up the distrubutor surfaces and the hole where it goes in will make things easier if you haven't done that already. Some assembly lube after that helps even more. As you remove the distributor the rotor will start off pointing a certain direction (#1 cylinder if done by the book). As it pulls up the gear forces the shaft to rotate, so the rotor is pointed an entirely different direction by the time it is free of the gear. And the oil pump drive shaft slot will be oriented a certain way at that point as well. The direction the rotor is pointed in at the time it leaves the hole in the engine is what should be marked for future reference. If at all possible, as said above, the engine shouldn't be disturbed (rotated) while the distributor is out. When you put the new distributor in, point the rotor toward the mark from when it got taken out. The oil pump shaft should engage, and the shaft (and the rotor) will rotate due to the gear back to the cylinder it was pointing to before it was removed (by the book, #1). Hind sight is 20-20, of course. Your best bet is to find #1 TDC and set it up again. Like stated above, you may have to roll the engine over to get the distributor to drop the rest of the way in. Sorry to make llight of your frustration. My sense of humor isn't at its best when I'm frustrated, so I get it.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestButteTruck View Post
Usually if you get the gear to mesh, but it wont quite pick up the oil pump, I usually just bump the motor over until it falls the last 1/2 inch or so down.
Had it happen to me before, had to bump the starter to get it to drop in the slot.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

When ever i was taught to install a distributor i was taught one of two ways.one by my dad who is a heavy equipment mechanic by trade taught me to drop the distrubutor in making sure its on No#1 TDC,make sure all your wires are connected and your plug wires are connected then either crawl under the truck and turn the flexplate/flywheel manually until you hear the distributor drop in its slot this is usually accompanied by the sound of air popping or what sounds more like a sucking sound then its in or you can set the distributor in the housing again making sure its on TDC no#1 and all wires and connections made the go into vehicle and gentle bump engine over until distributor drops into slot on shaft.my uncle who is a backyard mechanic type taught me the same methods to do this.they both taught me to prime the oil pump before dropping the distributor in my uncle had a tool for this he made out of an old distributor housing which you hook up a 12v drill to it.used that one many a time it works like a charm.you could use a hand screwdriver to turn it or use a long hand operated screw driver to turn it.well im off to bed its been a long day and i cannot see or think straight right now on top of im falling asleep at the computer here.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Had it happen to me before, had to bump the starter to get it to drop in the slot.
X2 Usually you just have to hold the distibutor in place with bumping over the engine and it will fall into place.

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestButteTruck View Post
Yeah, it really is just that easy. Don't make this harder than it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
BIG69GMC

hey guys! finally got it in on friday night, went and put my fat face on top of the engine so i could see the oil pump shaft and line it up so it was somewhat in the same direction of the distributor before i put it in. and got the cam to mesh with the drive gear but it was still 1/4 inch up. put the mount and bolt on and made it snug and went to crank (not start) the engine to see if it was showing oil pressure and it did, went back to look at the distributor and it fell in on its own. so that pos is not coming out again! hahahaha! was surprised it went in after working on it two previous weekends and nothing. did notice the oil pump shaft was leaning towards the back of the engine so maybe thats why i couldnt get it to line up? Thank you for all your help guys, i really DO appreciate everyones help, Dave...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG69GMC View Post
hey guys! finally got it in on friday night, went and put my fat face on top of the engine so i could see the oil pump shaft and line it up so it was somewhat in the same direction of the distributor before i put it in. and got the cam to mesh with the drive gear but it was still 1/4 inch up. put the mount and bolt on and made it snug and went to crank (not start) the engine to see if it was showing oil pressure and it did, went back to look at the distributor and it fell in on its own. so that pos is not coming out again! hahahaha! was surprised it went in after working on it two previous weekends and nothing. did notice the oil pump shaft was leaning towards the back of the engine so maybe thats why i couldnt get it to line up? Thank you for all your help guys, i really DO appreciate everyones help, Dave...
Several of us hate to admit we told you so! Glad we could help.

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
73chevyman

i have an old distributer that i broke down to use to prim the oil pump and us to line up the oil shaft..... it's a pitty thing but what i do is drop the distributer in and see where it sits and make a mark..... pull it out and set to mark and see where the distributer shaft sit and try to relate were the oil shaft is sitting and try setting the pump to the same setting it's hard to explain but you see in a way what i do to get it to set in....... i never liked to bump the motor to get it to set in cause i always thought it will jump out of time........ guess it's different strokes for different folks..... glad you got it to work in your favor..........
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It will not jump out of time....the angular cut to the gear teeth actually pull down during the rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote