The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
grs

Charcoal canister

Did 1969 trucks made in Calif. have charcoal canisters? I may move to Texas, and I just want to make sure my truck passes inspection. Will I am at it. Will it have to get inspected in Texas? Thanks
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Re: Charcoal canister

Here in the great state of Texas any vehicle older than 24 years only has to pass safety inspection. So as long as all the lights work, windshield is in good shape as well as tires etc you are fine. I mean they check for noticable leaks and that you have all your lug nuts things like that but there is no emissions stuff. A regular vehicle is about $45 a year, since you only hae to have saftey it is like $14.50 per year so you save a little money as well.

Last edited by Quackaddict; 06-21-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Jwill41

thats right, $14.50 and about 15 minutes gets it done.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Bruce88

I remember how confusing that time was in regarding emission control items on vehicles.

Emission control equipment in general depending on what kind of vehicle it was on, started in 1970 but I’ve seen where older vehicles have been retro fitted with them in California. Even to some of the California vehicles being required by some inspection stations not allowing a vehicle to be registered or licensed up to lets say 5 to 10 years later with out some of the emission standards being met. A very confusing time for hot roders or anyone making modifications to their vehicles especially in California.

I think many if not all including California have relaxed their emission requirements on vehicles older than let’s say 1975 where other states started jumping on the emission band wagon. Keeping track of what vehicle came with what from the factory is almost impossible depending on what state it was originally sold in and I think even California has given up trying unless you’ve made a lot of modifications like a newer style engine installed in a older vehicle.

With the general feeling by some at the time that anything labeled emission equipment was bad and needed to be removed to obtain performance and gas mileage a lot of people just started stripping it out of their vehicles. Where I can agree that some of the emission equipment from the factory had a poor design and final outcome from the factory was poor and needed to be removed the vapor/charcoal canister did not need to fall in this category.

The canister at that time was and is a very simple and effective way to eliminate some of the problems with venting gas fumes and as long as its maintained and installed correctly causes no power loss or gas mileage issues or any other problems like the smell of gas around the vehicle. If you want to see an over designed installations in my opinion just look at a modern day canisters and all the vacuum lines. With added complication the more chance for failure or not working right.

So in my opinion if this is the only thing you need to meet the California emission at the inspection station I would consider a canister a benefit to my truck. Just make sure that it is hocked up correctly and working/maintained and press on.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Did 1969 trucks made in Calif. have charcoal canisters? I may move to Texas, and I just want to make sure my truck passes inspection. Will I am at it. Will it have to get inspected in Texas? Thanks

As some have said safety inspection is all they test for BUT I had to have all my emissions connected and correct for 1972 before they would pass me. They didn't check the emission out the pipe but did make sure all that it had for 72 was there and connected to the proper places.

But again it depends on where you go and who you get to inspect it. I got a newly licensed inspector and he was by the book all the way. No cracks in any lenses and only so many chips per sq ft in the windsheild all the emission had to be correctly connected. A big PIA he was.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
grs

Thanks for the info guys.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Jwill41

I have gone to several different stations in Dallas over the last few years and most dont even open the hood.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
jojo
printing is my trade

When I had mine inspected, they didn't bother with emissions (1970 chevy).

There was a sign saying the windshield wasn't part of the inspection, only the wipers.

I didn't have any handles on the wiper control, and the poor guy (college boy was probably 19 yrs) couldn't figure how to turn them on. He passed the truck. If he didn't, somebody around here would have.

BTW, I saw the title of this and was hoping for some info on finding a charcoal cannister. I'd like to install one eventually.

Last edited by jojo; 06-22-2010 at 09:56 PM.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

rockauto.com is where I got mine
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote