The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
PRattenbury

3/4 ton shortbed?

Has anyone on here put 3/4 ton suspension under their shortbed truck? I haven't done anything to my suspension, brakes, steering or anything yet. I have checked out all the slammed trucks on here and I like them alot. I could go that way. Or, I could be different. I am wondering if the spring perches on the 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks are the same on the two different rated trucks. Anybody know?
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: 3/4 ton shortbed?

it will ride like a dump truck if you use the springs however, I have comtemplated all the 3/4 or 1 ton stuff minus the springs for a tough durable look
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
PRattenbury

Yeah, I'm just wondering if the spring perches in the back are the same and the same distance apart from each other i.e. they would fit if I chose to install them on my 1/2 ton frame. That would leave me open to a diesel swap if I chose to do one later.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRattenbury View Post
Yeah, I'm just wondering if the spring perches in the back are the same and the same distance apart from each other i.e. they would fit if I chose to install them on my 1/2 ton frame. That would leave me open to a diesel swap if I chose to do one later.
The spring perches. themselves are identical. The 3/4's have an additional brace that mounts to the bottom of the frame, however, they would not be needed just to change out leaves. The biggest issue you would have is that most 1/2 ton rear springs are about 52" long eye to eye, while most 3/4's are about 56" eye to eye. The rear spring perch has to be moved rearward about 4" to account for the difference (they both measure the same from the front eye to the axle location), some long beds are have the holes in the frame for either set of springs (mine did not but it was a 3/4 ton to start with, from what I have gathered on here most 1/2 tons had both sets of holes, probably because they could be ordered new as heavy halves, big tens, etc, which came equipped with 3/4 ton rear springs). Your being a half ton short bed, I would guess it does not have the extra mounting holes, but you could do what I did and drill the new holes yourself. Use the search feature, search for "3/4 to 1/2 ton what I did", I did a thread about what parts I used to do the opposite of what you are asking about, it may be of some help for you.

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote