The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
creamsicle68

windsheild wiper motor?

hey guys, i was workin on my truck and its almost on the road but i need windsheild wipers. i have a new motor and i have power to the motor. but when im in the truck the switch doesnt do crap. i kow the motor is good and the test light shows im getting power to the motor so shouldnt it do somethingwhen i hit the switch? or could my switch be bad and causing it dont to do anything? im pretty stumped and frustraited at this point so any help would be appreciated

thanks, Dalton
creamsicle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: windsheild wiper motor?

So if you're getting power to the motor, which I am guessing by turning the wiper switch, don't you reckon that means the switch is doing its job? If you're getting power to the motor, but the motor does nothing, I'd really say bad motor. Even if it's a new motor, how many times have you ever opened a new something and it be bad/damaged?
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
creamsicle68

the switch doesnt seem to be effecting anything. just the hot wires that are suppose to be hot are. and i know the motor is good because i put it in my sisters blazer and it worked fine. ive been using her blazer to figure out whats wrong with my truck and everything is identical. the only thing left to point the finger at is the switch. but the switch worked fine befor so idk if they randomly go bad or if im missing something else
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

No, they do go bad. Is it a multi function switch on the column or dash mounted? I.E. what year is your truck
Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
creamsicle68

85..its like in the turn signal. whitch is the main reasin i havent changed it yet cuz i font have a steering wheel puller and dont see any other way to get it apart. but i was hopin there shuld be something else in the route tht i could look for
Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

And this is where my trouble shooting skills end. I do know that when mine (87) stopped working, we replaced the wiper motor. I got wipers for high and low, but had no delay function at all. Then I replaced the delay control module, and it fixed my delay issue.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

make sure the motor is grounded (one hole has a copper strap)or try temp wire ground......under the dash out of the coloum look for a thin pastic strip with wires this goes to the lever on the coloum,follow these can crack or disconnect
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote