The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
splehigh

12 Bolt Clanking and Whining

I replaced the carrier in my 71 C10 with a posi unit out of a 70 Blazer. I used my old ring and pinion so all I did was swap my ring gear to the posi carrier. I used the original carrier shims to get the correct backlash.

Now I'm getting a clank while shifting gears and also a whine/grind when accellerating a decelerating. Last night I shimmed the ring gear closer to the pinion and eliminated some of the backlash but still have the same clanking and whining. If I shim the carrier any more I wont be able to get the C clip on the axel.

The gears seem to be meshing together correctly, but do you thing I need to shim the pinion back towards the ring gear more?

Also, I currently have 3:73 gears and would like to convert to 3:07. Does anyone have a set of 3:07 gears or want to swap?

Thanks guys!
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: 12 Bolt Clanking and Whining

you should have read the service manual and done it correctly the first time// maybe 50% chance you haven't junked it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
splehigh

I should have, but that would have been smart. Also I probably would have all the right tools like the depth gauge to set the pinion depth.

I doubt I ruined the gears since I only drive it about 500 feet.

Thanks for the advice though. :-)
Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by splehigh View Post
I should have, but that would have been smart. Also I probably would have all the right tools like the depth gauge to set the pinion depth.

I doubt I ruined the gears since I only drive it about 500 feet.

Thanks for the advice though. :-)
500 ft is a half mile of gear travel with 3:73. The same shims would have gotten you close but they were mated to the carrier/ring combo and changing the carrier invalidated the shim arrangement.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
cdowns

about all the vendors have the factory service manuals at very cheap prices(less than the cost of a rear grenaded end) you did at least know enough to used the gear additive for the posi right?

you'd need to start at square one from the book to set it up// loads of guys me included choose the dropoff and pickup method of rear rebuilding

Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
splehigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
about all the vendors have the factory service manuals at very cheap prices(less than the cost of a rear grenaded end) you did at least know enough to used the gear additive for the posi right?

you'd need to start at square one from the book to set it up// loads of guys me included choose the dropoff and pickup method of rear rebuilding
I did know enough to use the additive, but are you saying that would make it clank and whine? I've heard that the clutches will sometimes chatter while turning without the additive but not while traveling straight.

I know most guys dont mess with differential setup but I also know a few guys that do it themselves. At least I am learning through this experience. I guess we will see if my learning experiance has cost me a set of gears or not. I will keep you posted.

Thank you all for the responses.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Deggs

I'll be doing the same shortly with an eaton posi I just picked up, so I'm interested in how this plays out.

I too was under the impression that should the carrier be the same dimensions you can just swap the ring gear and pop it back in, although I do intend to check the lash and follow a guide.

Sorry about your luck, I hope it's salvageable.
Deggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
splehigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deggs View Post
I'll be doing the same shortly with an eaton posi I just picked up, so I'm interested in how this plays out.

I too was under the impression that should the carrier be the same dimensions you can just swap the ring gear and pop it back in, although I do intend to check the lash and follow a guide.

Thanks man. Yeah thats what I was told from several sources, but maybe it depends on how lucky you are.

I'm pretty sure my gears are ok. They dont look worn at all and there are no shavings in the fluid or housing. We will see...
Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Guys,
If you dont have the special tools to set up your backlash and pinion depth along with the right torque wrenches, leave the axles alone and take them to a shop. You will regret it........

If anyone is close to me, bring it over and I can help, done several have the tools.....

Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deggs View Post

72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Mike C

The most difficult part of working on a rear is the pinion depth. A carrier swap is a good spot to start learning about diffs. The beauty of the swap you guys are talking about is that it does not require a pinion depth checker. A cheap magnetic base and dial indicator are the only special tools. The only special parts I would recommend is a universal side gear shim set.

The carrier should be a TIGHT fit back into the bearing caps. This is what sets preload on the side bearings. If your backlash is the same before and after, that should be spot on. If the carrier was tight when putting the shims and bearing races together. If it is loose, then when you put it in gear and apply a load the ring gear is going to try and walk away from the pinion which increases backlash which could be a source of noise.

But not much can "Clunk". I would check to make sure that you have the thrust washers underneath the spider gears and that there are no broken parts in the posi case. I would check that the u-joint is not bad and that the cap straps are tight.

But if you don't have a service manual, get one. Like I tell my 7 year old, "If you can read the book and do the math, you can do anything."
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
splehigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
The most difficult part of working on a rear is the pinion depth. A carrier swap is a good spot to start learning about diffs. The beauty of the swap you guys are talking about is that it does not require a pinion depth checker. A cheap magnetic base and dial indicator are the only special tools. The only special parts I would recommend is a universal side gear shim set.

The carrier should be a TIGHT fit back into the bearing caps. This is what sets preload on the side bearings. If your backlash is the same before and after, that should be spot on. If the carrier was tight when putting the shims and bearing races together. If it is loose, then when you put it in gear and apply a load the ring gear is going to try and walk away from the pinion which increases backlash which could be a source of noise.

But not much can "Clunk". I would check to make sure that you have the thrust washers underneath the spider gears and that there are no broken parts in the posi case. I would check that the u-joint is not bad and that the cap straps are tight.

But if you don't have a service manual, get one. Like I tell my 7 year old, "If you can read the book and do the math, you can do anything."
Thanks Mike! That is the kind of useful info I was looking for!

I'm almost certain I had the carrier shimmed tightly enough, but I'll double check that. As far as I can tell the posi unit is ok as well. I had the unit almost completely apart except for the clutches, and found no broken parts or anything.

My buddy that works at a transmission shop and has rebuilt several differentials is coming over tonight to take a look at it. Hopefuly he will be able to figure it out.

Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
splehigh

So here is what we found last night. The 3:08 posi carrier out of the 70 Blazer was wider than the 3:73 non posi from the 71. Hence the reason why I couldnt shim the carrier close enough to the pinion gear. There was about an 8th inch difference in width.

So what made the difference? Is the housing from the 70 blazer different, or is it because of the different gear ratio? Someone said that there are different series carriers for different ratios. I believe they said 3:73 is a 3 series and 3:08 is a 4 series.

So for now we just put the non posi 3:73 unit back in.

The plan is to save up for an Auburn posi and 3:08 gear set.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
cdowns

different carriers for different ratios // factory service manual covers these important differences

do you know if you actually have a posi for a truck they are different than a car 12bolt as well as the different series for the ratio ranges

did you change the pinion? new crush sleeve? and preload?

if you really want a working posi maybe save and have a professional shop do it,your buddy with sperience and doesnt know about the different carriers well he dont know much

expect in the $1200-$1500 range for the RIGHT parts PROPERLY installed

Last edited by cdowns; 06-11-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splehigh View Post
So here is what we found last night. The 3:08 posi carrier out of the 70 Blazer was wider than the 3:73 non posi from the 71. Hence the reason why I couldnt shim the carrier close enough to the pinion gear. There was about an 8th inch difference in width.

So what made the difference? Is the housing from the 70 blazer different, or is it because of the different gear ratio? Someone said that there are different series carriers for different ratios. I believe they said 3:73 is a 3 series and 3:08 is a 4 series.

So for now we just put the non posi 3:73 unit back in.

The plan is to save up for an Auburn posi and 3:08 gear set.
3.73 gears require a 4 series carrier
3.08 gears require a 3 series carrier

There are thick and thin gear sets available aftermarket to adapt different ratios. Why buy an aftermarket carrier?

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
Mike C

Yup. As noted above. The difference is about 1/4". You can buy a ring gear spacer for the 3 series carrier and make it work. Doesn't work the other way, though! Should come with all new bolts and lockwashers. Trucks break the carrier at different spot than cars. In trucks the 3.73 and up use a 4 series carrier (called that because for the most part uses 4 ratio gears: 4.10, 4.56, 4.88) Cars break at up to 3.90 and 4.10 and up. Get a spacer and go through the backlash setting process and you should be good.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
splehigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Yup. As noted above. The difference is about 1/4". You can buy a ring gear spacer for the 3 series carrier and make it work. Doesn't work the other way, though! Should come with all new bolts and lockwashers. Trucks break the carrier at different spot than cars. In trucks the 3.73 and up use a 4 series carrier (called that because for the most part uses 4 ratio gears: 4.10, 4.56, 4.88) Cars break at up to 3.90 and 4.10 and up. Get a spacer and go through the backlash setting process and you should be good.
Thanks for the info Mike!

I was told that spacers can cause problems and that they tend to flex and break the ring gear bolts.

Also I decided not to use the posi carrier because the spider gear bearings/washers were badly worn and kept falling out. I was told I should rebuild it and get all new spider gears.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
silver7

Hey splehigh, I have a 43/14 ring ring/pinion (3.07 ratio) OEM tooth combo I'll trade with you for the 3.73 gears if your gears are from a 3 series carrier. My set looks to be in great shape. Also please verify the outer and inner diameter of your ring gear.

Mine

OD - 8.75"
ID - 5.4"

I attached a diagram which may help.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #18
splehigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver7 View Post
Hey splehigh, I have a 43/14 ring ring/pinion (3.07 ratio) OEM tooth combo I'll trade with you for the 3.73 gears if your gears are from a 3 series carrier. My set looks to be in great shape. Also please verify the outer and inner diameter of your ring gear.

Mine

OD - 8.75"
ID - 5.4"

I attached a diagram which may help.
I appreciate the offer Silver 7. I'm pretty sure my 3.73 gears are on a 4 series carrier.

I already put the 3.73s back in and plan on driving it like that for a while till I save up for a posi and possibly some 3.42 gears.

Thanks again
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
silver7

No problem and good luck.