The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
amodedude1

Lightbulb Question on lowering my 79

Hey guys, I've been thinking about lowering my 79 k20 4x4. Okay, now please don't get mad haha, I know most people don't do that sort of thing but ohh well. To each their own. I like the lower look, no skyjakin' for me.

Anyway, I have a good Idea for the rear. I'm going with a modest drop, around 4" in the back via shackles and and hanger bracket. that's no problem.

The problem is the front. It's a 4x4 and has the inverted leaf spring suspension going on....

My idea was to either add a helper leaf, or one from the back if it would fit, to the front. Since they are inverted this would lower the front end. If I can't get leaves that fit, I would send them to a shop to get arched.

Is this a feasible idea. Any thoughts as to if this would work? Could I get 2.5 to 3" lower out of the front?

I'm looking into this now because I have the bed off and rear leaves out ready to be sent for powder coating. I want to do the lowering now since the bed is out, rather than later.

Last edited by amodedude1; 06-28-2010 at 03:27 PM.
amodedude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
raycow

Re: Question on lowering my 79

I don't think I would feel comfortable with adding even more reverse curve to that spring.

How about a flip and replacing the springs with normally arched ones?

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
amodedude1

Re: Question on lowering my 79

Well, to be honest, I've had this truck for a few years, and never really noticed the fact that the front leaf spring had a negative arch, and was kinda shocked when I first saw it thinking it sagged or something.

Apparently, though, this is the way it origionated from the factory and it's called, at least to my knowledge, an "underslung" suspension. (origionating from the American Underslung company for example
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...underslung.jpg
)

Ohh, and pay no attention to the rust, I've been working on the rear and it's cleaning up real good, down to bare metal. rear leaf springs are clean and ready for powder coating. (the rear ones were looking worse to start)

Anyway, I'd do a Axle flip but can't find a kit for the life of me. I'm sure I don't need a kit per say, but I'd like that.

I'm trying to eliminate the easy options first, If it's not possible I'll go with a custom axle flip. That would probably give me the best drop anyway.

Last edited by amodedude1; 06-28-2010 at 07:54 PM.
amodedude1 is offline   Reply With Quote