The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
charx2

Thinking about top end kit....any advice?

I have what I believe to be a 350sbc though I was told it's a 383. Unless they balanced it internally, it's a 350 though. Anyway, I want to buy a top end kit that's rated for 410+hp. I eventually want to drag this 67 c10 step that's bagged. I also want it to be somewhat of a sleeper! Anyways, I plan on buying a top end kit from jegs or summit but my question is, will I be able to install it all myself? I've never rebuilt or even dug into a motor but I will of course take it nice and slow and check out a few books at my library. What scares me is if for some reason the kit comes with a manufacture defect or something wrong with it, I may not know because of my inexperience. Is it a good idea for me to spend close to $2000 and then "learn" on it? I am confident I can do the work but if something is wrong with it, I'm afraid I wont know and install it all and troubleshoot something that's almost impossible for ME to find... Your thoughts?
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
btullis99

Re: Thinking about top end kit....any advice?

I bought the trick flow top end kit, 425 HP kit from summit. its high quality stuff, comes with everything you need. I don't believe you can run exhaust manifolds with them cause they have angled spark plugs. I've got headers with some of those dei spark plug boots on the plug wires that were really close to the header. what's so nice about the kit is its everything packaged and tuned. you'll need a good torque wrench and a good 350 chevy book from the parts store wouldn't hurt either.
btullis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
charx2

What did you put that kit on? Stock crack, pistons, ect? I have some headers but I have to use header plugs right now due to clearance issues. Right now I'm running a performer intake with a 600cfm edelbrock, and stock 462 heads which I hear are pretty ****ty.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
btullis99

350 block .060 over with an eagle 383 rotating assembly, je forged piston, with 10:1 compression. on top I've got a 750 edelbrock carb with a dual plane edelbrock intake manifold.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
charx2

Damn, that's what I would like to have but I'm just worried about the top end, bottom is uncharted territory due to PO lack of knowledge, he bought the truck from someone who did a lot of work to it. Man, I got bit with this truck, now I'm just trying to find the money to build it!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
btullis99

as long as the bottom end isn't too tired it will handle that top end kit in my opinion with no problem. but if its wore out, get ready to drop the dime. some good machine work and quality parts will go a long way in the end. the only limit is budget.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
charx2

I want to pull the motor and do it all but I just don't have the money. It would be about 5000k easy for what I would want to make it. That's only that damn engine!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
btullis99

maybe find a used 350 block and start on it, get it built up slowly over time and then when you get almost there, do the engine swap. thats what i did. got my block, had it machined, bought parts as i had the money and then finally made it to the swap part. that way you can still drive the truck around while building.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
charx2

That's a good idea. I just don't want to start from scratch though. I figure if need be I can get what I have machined minus the pistons which are not that expensive. I just want to make a truck that's pretty fast, I'll just be doing mostly street racing and occasionally the strip. Once I get tired of that is when I will pull and rebuild it all. That way I won't miss the truck to much and the pay off will be well worth it!