The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
alden

If the choke is pulled out, is the choke open or closed?

My truck is giving me fits today. As far as I can tell the choke setup is backwards. If I pull the choke out it closes the butterfly, if I push it in it opens it. Am I doing something wrong or is this how it's supposed to be?

Thanks!
-Alden

Last edited by alden; 07-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: If the choke is pulled out, is the choke open or closed?

closed
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
closed
Ok just to dumb it down a slight bit further, choke knob pulled out = flap on carb sits horizontal = choke closed. So once the engine is warmed up and I want the choke closed the knob should be pulled out rather than pushed in?

Last edited by alden; 07-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
OrrieG

Pushed all the way in the choke valve should be vertical (open). Pulled out will gradually close it. Full close to start in cold weather, push in as the engine warms up, after a minute of so it should run with it open as the intake manifold warms up the carb. Throttle is similar, pushed all the way in engine idles off the idle adjustment, as you pull it out it idles faster. Some times in really cold weather you need to use both. Throttle was also used to speed up for PTO stuff and I've heard that some farmers would put the truck in granny low and use the hand throttle to let it run along so they could buck hay bails, etc. without a helper. My wifes mom learned to drive big farm trucks when she was barely old enough to reach the pedals.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Pushed all the way in the choke valve should be vertical (open). Pulled out will gradually close it. Full close to start in cold weather, push in as the engine warms up, after a minute of so it should run with it open as the intake manifold warms up the carb. Throttle is similar, pushed all the way in engine idles off the idle adjustment, as you pull it out it idles faster. Some times in really cold weather you need to use both. Throttle was also used to speed up for PTO stuff and I've heard that some farmers would put the truck in granny low and use the hand throttle to let it run along so they could buck hay bails, etc. without a helper. My wifes mom learned to drive big farm trucks when she was barely old enough to reach the pedals.
Thanks both of you. A neighbor and I spent probably 6 hours yesterday trying to set the dwell on the truck (changed out the distributor as well) and while it wasn't running real smooth before it's not wanting to run at all now so we thought it might have something to do with the carb as well but I'm pretty sure that everything on the carb is setup as it should be. So I think we're going to put in the old distributor which did function as far as I know and start all over troubleshooting it.

Last edited by alden; 07-03-2010 at 07:19 AM.