The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #26
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Traction bar options for '72 SWB leaf rear?

Problem solved thanks to Calvert Racing. Details here.

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #27
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Problem solved thanks to Calvert Racing. Details here.

Quote:
I take back everything remotely positive I said about Calvert Racing above. Went to install the modified hangers today and they STILL don't fit. I'm so upset about this I'm at a loss for words. I've lost nearly a month of progress on my truck waiting for them to get it right. I want to load it up to get the exhaust done, but I can't move it because it's in pieces thanks to their utter incompetence.

Figured I would post this up in case someone else was considering these or in case they may have an idea to fix this problem for you.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #28
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

The problem has been solved at tremendous expense on the part of Calvert. For all the problems, they didn't quit until they got it right and every bit of it on their own dime, including round-trip overnight air fare via UPS. I can only imagine what those two shipments cost them! Details will be posted in my build thread momentarily. Bottom line is Calvert learned a lot from this experience and they will have an even better product line as a result. Yes, it was a LOT of hassle and frustration for me, but in the big scheme of things it's nothing.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #29
bedsled71

wow,! thats awesome for them to have done that for you.. i would have never thought they would have got you new hangers.
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #30
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
The problem has been solved at tremendous expense on the part of Calvert. For all the problems, they didn't quit until they got it right and every bit of it on their own dime, .....
Thanks for the follow up. I have never used their product but have heard great things about them. Your situation was the first time I had heard anything wrong with fitment.

For them to take such a determined approach toward making them right is very admirable. Props to Calvert Racing...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #31
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Here are a couple pics also found in my build thread. If you know what you're looking for, you can see in the first one how the hangers had to be modified to work. Despite their having sold 30-40 sets of these over the past few years (Calvert's own estimate) without ever hearing a complaint, I don't see how anyone ever got them to work as a bolt-on. The "cup" design of the factory hangers precludes the kit from working without modification. As I've said to others, it's like trying to push a refrigerator through an arched doorway -- it may fit at the bottom, but it's gonna hit at the top.

What I hope would come of this is that Calvert would design, manufacture and sell at additional cost their own custom hanger made from plate steel for these trucks. It'd be slick as hell, make them some money, and be a godsend for anyone else wanting to install these on a '67-72. I also hope they make the new style of pivot a standard part of the kit rather than the straight-sided triangle that I received originally. Ultimately it won't make a difference to me, but I hope they make some changes that result in improved sales and more money for them, because they're a great company with a great product -- just some design issues as it relates specifically to these trucks.

I also want to add that when things really started going to hell with the disappearing package on Wednesday, the gentleman I'd been working with at Calvert gave me his PERSONAL cell phone number and told me to call if there were any more problems. After I called him back on Friday to let him know the stuff had arrived, he again reminded me to call him on his cell if I had trouble with the installation. When was the last time you had someone from a company do THAT for you? Never, I'm guessing.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-06-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #32
AirMale

Just got a new pro-street project and think I'm gonna buy the cal-tracs. The customer service they gave you EARNED my business! great post
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #33
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMale View Post
Just got a new pro-street project and think I'm gonna buy the cal-tracs. The customer service they gave you EARNED my business! great post
Please be sure to let them know! I'd be really happy to know that THEY know the hard work and expense they put into making me happy had resulted in another sale for them. The person I dealt with is Travis, though I'm sure anyone there will treat you right.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #34
70stroker

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i was gettin ready to order these for my 70gmc leaf spring truck.

i went to there site and the kit does not include the hangers that you had problems with.

so my question is this, How did they fix the problem? Build you new hangers? if so why arnt they in the kit?

thanks
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70stroker View Post
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i was gettin ready to order these for my 70gmc leaf spring truck.

i went to there site and the kit does not include the hangers that you had problems with.

so my question is this, How did they fix the problem? Build you new hangers? if so why arnt they in the kit?

thanks
You'll have to call them and ask why they're not included. If you look at my pics and posts you'll see that they went out and located some stock hangers, then notched and powdercoated them for me. I suggested at the time that they should be building their own hangers from new steel, but apparently they haven't gotten that far yet. I would definitely call them BEFORE ordering to find out exactly what they're doing to make sure they work right out of the box. Might mention when you talk to them that you had seen my problems and wanted to make sure that you didn't run into the same thing. They're great guys and will make sure you're happy.

Brent

Old 07-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #36
Chevrolet4x4s

What about adding an extra leaf ontop of the main leaf? Hotchkis has some like this...Car Craft or Hot Rod had an article that mentioned them a while back.
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote