The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
vintage_car

new 1950 to me...part of the Ad club

Just took delivery of a 1950 chevy. It is rough, but I want to go the rat rod route so I'm not conserned with body apperance. It has a nice patina. I really don't know much about these trucks, so it will be a fun little learning experience.
First question, the pervious owner did not know if the engine was seized or not and did not know the condition of the engine or rear end... so my question is...what is the best way to check these items out safely?
The truck does not have a key, is there a safe way to bump over the starter?
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
raycow

Re: new 1950 to me...part of the Ad club

You do not need a key to crank the engine. There should be a small round pedal, or perhaps just a steel rod, sticking through the floor to the right of the gas pedal. Depressing that rod will operate the starter.

However, I don't recommend using it without knowing the condition of the engine first. Make sure the transmission is in neutral. Then see if you can turn the engine by hand using the fan. Have a helper press against the belt on the slack side. If the belt still slips, try turning the crankshaft pulley by hand.

If you can't turn the engine with the crankshaft pulley, go underneath and remove the bellhousing bottom cover so you can see the flywheel. Use a prybar to turn the flywheel by pivoting the prybar on the edge of the bellhousing and prying against the flywheel teeth. If you can turn the flywheel, it is ok to try the starter. However if you can't turn the engine with the prybar, it is very likely seized, and using the starter could damage the starter or the flywheel .

Before trying the starter, disconnect the fuel line from the pump inlet. You really don't want old gas going into the carb. When you get around to starting the engine, run a hose from the pump inlet into a can of fresh gas.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
NONHOG

Re: new 1950 to me...part of the Ad club

Couldn't hurt to spray some penetrating oil in each cylinder. SeaFoam or the like. Or just squirt some oil just to give it a fighting chance in case it is crusty in there.