The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Electric Fan on/off temps

As I'm putting the engine back together I want to install a thermostatic control for my electric fan, at the moment its just controlled by a manual switch on the dash which is OK unless I get forgetful. Initially to turn the crappy plastic japanese one thats now on the rad and then to run the new bigger Volvo T5 fan that will be going on as soon as I can bend up a shroud for it.

I'm going to use one of these

Its a billet anodised hose adaptor from a company over here that makes them for Landrovers, it will fit in the top hose and then take a standard radiator electric fan switch (22mm thread) that I can buy for a couple of quid at various temp ranges from any parts place over here. My top hose is already cut in half with a bit of old exhaust pipe in the middel at the moment so its n o hassle at all to replace that with this better looking piece and then wire it up to a relay and boom, thermostatic switch. I might also wire it up to an led in the cab and an override switch so I can pre-empt it if I get into heavy traffic and just put it on permanently.

What I need to know is what temperature it should switch on and off at? Like I say its going in the top radiator hose and its a mild 350, top temperatures over here tend to be mid to late 20c's maybe low 30c's for a few days each summer. (sorry, thats Metric we haven't used F here since I was a kid)

My new 9well junkyard) fan

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission

Last edited by Lippyp; 07-05-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Sammy

Re: Electric Fan on/off temps

I used a thermo adjustable controled zirgo switch that simply fits in the drain cock for the rad.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Sammy

I was unsure which direction to go for electric fan controller. You will hear a vast difference of choices. Is one way better than another? Maybe. Here are pics of my setup I took with a custom shroud. Yours is looking good. Good luck.
Attached Images

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Sammy

The adj controller goes from 180-210 degrees. Mine is set when the rad reaches about 185. And the gauge inside never gets above 190 which is reading on the head.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I could get an adjustable fan controller to fit that housing but it costs £52, whereas the standard intermotor fan switchs cost £2 each and theres a vast range of on-off temps so I'm not that bothered about going with an adjustable setup as I'm guessing once you've got it set up then you probably never touch it, for the sake of trying a couple of different switches I'll still save best part of fifty quid.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote