The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

4150 throttle linkage

Anyone running a 4150 Holley? What are you running for a throttle linkage? Cant seem to get the secondaries to open with the stock cable.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: 4150 throttle linkage

You can get a 4150 in both vacuum and double pumper, also most are DP's. If you disconnect the linkage, can you get them to open up by using your hand? Think we need a little more info. You can get them to open up just fine with the rod style or cable. I am using both. Must be a geometry issue. Pics of what you are currently trying would help so we can see where you have it hooked to the carb.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
You can get a 4150 in both vacuum and double pumper, also most are DP's. If you disconnect the linkage, can you get them to open up by using your hand? Think we need a little more info. You can get them to open up just fine with the rod style or cable. I am using both. Must be a geometry issue. Pics of what you are currently trying would help so we can see where you have it hooked to the carb.
Of course;
Its a mechanical secondary 925 blow through application from the Carb Shop. Yes, I can open it by hand. Im hoping to use the stock cable, and pedal as I hope you can see in the pics. Im using a Jegs adjustable bracket, but Im thinking maybe the stock bracket would be a better choice?
Anyway, the way it is now, it ony goes far enough to open the primaries. My Cobra buddy says, "Hey, thats a great govenor!"
Sorry, the last pic is fuzzy...
TIA, Tom
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would say you need to move your ballstud forward to the hole in front of where it is now.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
rattleon

Ball stud needs to be where return spring bracket is now.
1931 full fendered model A sedan AV8 traditional hotrod.
1934 Ford 5 window coupe and a (pile-of-parts)
1929 Model A coupe, plus our "normal" people vehicles.
rattleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
chevytruck1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleon View Post
Ball stud needs to be where return spring bracket is now.
I agree had the same problem with the same bracket on a friends truck.
6.13@111mph 1/8 mile
9.80@131mph 1/4 mile
434 small block all motor
chevytruck1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would say you need to move your ballstud forward to the hole in front of where it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruck1970 View Post
I agree had the same problem with the same bracket on a friends truck.

OK then, should I do away with the Jegs bracket altogether and use the original factory bracket and just depend on the spring on the carb?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It's been my experience that vehicles with mechanical linkage use the large upper hole where you have your return spring now. Vehicles with cable linkage typically use the hole below and rearward, This is where the ballstud should go. Do you have enough cable left to move the ballstud forward? I've not used the Jegs throttle cable bracket, so I don't know what to say about that. If it is restricting sufficient throttle opening, it may need to either be modified or replaced.

I would leave the return spring where it is for now.

I just had a thought....are there different throttle cables for these trucks with a small block versus a big block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
OK then, should I do away with the Jegs bracket altogether and use the original factory bracket and just depend on the spring on the carb?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 07-06-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Another thought, two return springs? On different note i used to work around the corner to the carb shop sure heard some great music from their dyno..
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
ABSOLUTELY do not use just the return spring that the carb has. It might seem strong when you are using it without the weight of the cable hooked up. Once you have the weight of the throttle system on the primary linkage, it is VERY unsafe to use just the return spring on the primary shaft.

They make little brackets that can bolt down to the rear stud and allow you to hook a return spring to the bottom of the linkage as Captfab suggested. I like them because it's much cleaner looking than having a big ole spring going to your radiator and the front of the carb. ;o)

I have an old tow rig that I didn't really care about looks and I actually had to bend the bent part of the primary bracket straight that is used for an A/C fast idle solenoid and drill a hole in it for my ball stud. Gave me enough throw for full throttle but looks kinda hillbilly!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote