The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Trim Removal Questions

Hey Y'all.............
Came across a guy who's parting out an 87 Silverado on Craigslist. Guy said I could buy the trim behind the cab, and the tailgate band with all the clips and such.. for $100,.... thing is... was talking to him on the phone.. to set-up time to check it out, and neither him or I really know how these things come off, don't wanna just start prying stuff off...fact is.. I'm new to this type of stuff.. I learn as I go.. but really am getting into sweetening my truck up, thanks to you all... any experienced advice with this... also, my truck never had the trim, and tailgate band to begin with (Custom Deluxe),.. the tail-gate band i'm curious about, is there clips behind it, that it goes onto?..... how tough is it to mount on a truck that never had it? Thanks alot in advance..... could really use the tips

- CaliDude

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...

Last edited by CaliDude76; 07-05-2010 at 07:44 PM.
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Trim Removal Questions

The tailgate band is easy. There are like 4 bolts on the backside of the tailgate, all the clips are on the band itself. Just grab the band and bolts and look at where the holes are, or make yourself a template. Drill some holes and install.

The molding on the cab and cab corners is just about as easy. The corner moldings are held on with a nut, it is on the inside of the cab corner. You can fish your hand up in there and feel the nut fairly easy. Once you get the corner moldings off, you can literally slide the long cab molding off in either direction. It is held on with simple pressure clips.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
The tailgate band is easy. There are like 4 bolts on the backside of the tailgate, all the clips are on the band itself. Just grab the band and bolts and look at where the holes are, or make yourself a template. Drill some holes and install.

The molding on the cab and cab corners is just about as easy. The corner moldings are held on with a nut, it is on the inside of the cab corner. You can fish your hand up in there and feel the nut fairly easy. Once you get the corner moldings off, you can literally slide the long cab molding off in either direction. It is held on with simple pressure clips.
ok cool.. I appreciate that.... as far as the "pressure clips" go.. for the straight peice under the window... do those things just screw on the cab? I've been reading about it.. and some say that their trucks had "studs' sticking out of the cab for the clips... i haven't gone down to see the truck I'm buying the trim from yet... on Fri..

I'm putting it on my truck from scratch... dont wanna buy it, if i can't put it on my truck correctly...

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."

Last edited by CaliDude76; 07-05-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

You'll be able to get the clips off by sliding them off of their studs, it'll make sense when you see it. The clips are held on with studs, but you can use screws or rivets to install the clips on your truck.

I could be thinking of el camino moldings though, it's been 15 years since I had one apart. But I'm fairly confident in my answer.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=46
#7 is what holds the corner pieces on, has a bolt going through the cab corner with a nut on the back (inside). #4 holds the long piece on across the back. You can actually press the molding down and get the bottom edge to pop off, instead of sliding it off. I just always found it easier to slide it off, less chance of bending it but more of a chance of breaking the clips.

Last edited by RandyP; 07-05-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
You'll be able to get the clips off by sliding them off of their studs, it'll make sense when you see it. The clips are held on with studs, but you can use screws or rivets to install the clips on your truck.

I could be thinking of el camino moldings though, it's been 15 years since I had one apart. But I'm fairly confident in my answer.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=46
#7 is what holds the corner pieces on, has a bolt going through the cab corner with a nut on the back (inside). #4 holds the long piece on across the back. You can actually press the molding down and get the bottom edge to pop off, instead of sliding it off. I just always found it easier to slide it off, less chance of bending it but more of a chance of breaking the clips.
RandyP... YOU ROCK!!! BRO.. Now I see what your talking about.. I get the idea.. thanks a lot!!! I guess depending on the condition of the clips... I can just order em from LMC... as long as I have the trim... not bad for $100 ( cab trim and tail-band).... well, I think so anyway.. compared to the prices new (Tail-Gate band from ClassicParts is like $600!!!! geeeez!!!) All about the budget!! LOL I'll be sure and post some pics when its all done.. if all goes well. Thanks again!! Be blessed

Last edited by CaliDude76; 07-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
Nukes16

If your truck did not come with the trim (ie. custom deluxe) then you will not have the studs on the back of your cab to attach the clips for the molding under the back window. Likewise, you probably won't have a hole drilled through your pillar for the corner piece.
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
baclay9

What would keep a guy from sticking all of this on with 3M tape. Assuming you don't already have the holes?
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The trim has huge lips on top and bottom, not much of a surface to put two sided tape on. You would have to build the tape up a few layers to get it to work like that really. It's very easy to put the clips on and to make a hole for the corner trim.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
bitchin85

i used two rolls of 3m tape and went around the outside edge of the trim. and i swear im not crazy but mine did not have the holes going through bolting it to the cab..
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

What a truck is supposed to have and what trucks have currently, two different things sometimes.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

I suppose I better measure twice, and drill once... I'll measure the holes and spacing off of the donor truck.... can't have the trim coming out all crooked.....

Last edited by CaliDude76; 07-06-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #12
Nukes16

Just to clarify. Yes you could use tape to attach the aluminum trim, I would certainly recommend drilling a hole for the corner pieces, as the factory did.
As for "using the clips" that is impossible if your truck did not come with the little posts on your cab. If you don't have the posts sticking out, the clips have nothing to hold on to. Also, if your cab has no hole drilled into the side pillar to hold the corner trim, then your cab did not come stock with the aluminum trim package. Someone would have to have stuck on the corner trim with tape in another life.
Cheers
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukes16 View Post
Just to clarify. Yes you could use tape to attach the aluminum trim, I would certainly recommend drilling a hole for the corner pieces, as the factory did.
As for "using the clips" that is impossible if your truck did not come with the little posts on your cab. If you don't have the posts sticking out, the clips have nothing to hold on to. Also, if your cab has no hole drilled into the side pillar to hold the corner trim, then your cab did not come stock with the aluminum trim package. Someone would have to have stuck on the corner trim with tape in another life.
Cheers
You can use the clips. That is why man invented screws and rivets. That's like saying you can not have tinted windows since the factory did not put tint on it.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
You can use the clips. That is why man invented screws and rivets. That's like saying you can not have tinted windows since the factory did not put tint on it.
That's what I was thinking too.... I figured the "posts" on the back of the cab were just an easier way to mount and align the back trim piece.. I was looking at the clips they use in my LMC book.. and I can see where they have holes and screws where it mounts to the cab, and the center hole where it could possibly slide on the post too.. sort of a universal type deal....thought about using 3M double tape... but doesn't seem durable enough for time. Has anyone actually done the aftermarket drilling and clip adding?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
Dropped84GMC

I haven't put trim on but I just took mine off. The little posts seemed to me to just be little rivots that had extended posts on them. To me it shouldn't be too hard to put the trim on. Just take all the measurements for the holes from the donor truck, mark out the holes , remeasure and drill the holes. I wouldn't use tape due to the backside of the molding having the lips on them and I doubt it would actually hold it how it should. Hope this helps!

1984 GMC 1500 2WD
Big plans in the making
Dropped84GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropped84GMC View Post
I haven't put trim on but I just took mine off. The little posts seemed to me to just be little rivots that had extended posts on them. To me it shouldn't be too hard to put the trim on. Just take all the measurements for the holes from the donor truck, mark out the holes , remeasure and drill the holes. I wouldn't use tape due to the backside of the molding having the lips on them and I doubt it would actually hold it how it should. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tips!! I'm actually going today (Fri), to go look at the condition of the tailgate band and cab trim. Can't tell very well how it is from craigslist pictures..... anywho..., I'm planning on measuring and drilling to hold the clips on.. might as well do it right, you know?... hopefully it's in good shape.. been wanting to add those touches to my truck for a while... I'll post some pix.. soon as I get it done.

Last edited by CaliDude76; 07-09-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #17
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

I put the trim on today.... check it out.... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=411235