The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
joebuick

steering wheel adjustment

Hey Guys,,, I need some input on how to adjust or "center " the steering wheel on my Grandson's 80 K10. It is off by about 3" from being centered. We did several changes from the time we started this restore from installing a 86 tilt column, replaceing the steering gearbox. The steering wheel can only go on in one position due to splines, the slip connector at bottom of column is also splined with a bolt thru it, and the rag joint connection to gearbox also has a bolt thru it, so the only thing left is the "adjustment" on the tie rod arm from the gearbox to the steering arm on left front wheel. Not wanting to mess with that until I get a response or suggestion. Any suggestions? Thanks Joe r
joebuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Re: steering wheel adjustment

I had the same problem with my 79 C-10 when I swapped to a newer steering box and column. It was clocked about 3 inches as you say yours is. What I did was in the center of the wheel, I took a dremel to the spline to the left of the largest opening. This allowed me an even bigger opening to be able to clock the wheel over. You will have to remove the lock ring on the column and reposition the plastic piece for the horn.

I'm sure there is a "right way" but this worked for me.
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
baclay9

Just make your wheels straight and adjust it at the tie rod. We just got done doing it to my Dads.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
joebuick

Hey baclay9 , do you renmember if you went longer or shorter on th adjustment? This shouldn't change the front end alignment huh?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
77gmcjoe
What do we get for $10?

You adjust the link between the steering gearbox and steering arm on your front axle (as you said). The way I did it was to get my front wheels as straight as possible and adjust the threaded sleeve until I achieved the desired result. You might have to drive it a little bit afterwards and see if it's where you want it. It just requires a little trial and error.

Here's a somewhat crappy picture of the link on my truck.

1996 Corvette LT4 350/ZF 6 speed
2000 Bonneville SSEI Supercharged 3.8 Liter V6
1966 Chevelle 2 door sedan (Needs major repair )

Last edited by 77gmcjoe; 07-08-2010 at 04:34 PM.
77gmcjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
baclay9

What he said. As far as which way to adjust it, it just depends on which way your wheel needs to go. Make sure your steering wheel isn't locked...good luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
joebuick

Yep,, I'm gonna do that in the morning, i'll wd40 both sides and let it set all night.. Man, those threads look gorilla.
Along those same lines, here's another one. since we did all these change-a-rounds,,, the truck now wants to road walk some. I mean you'll be going down the highway and all of a sudden it will veer sometimes to the right and sometimes to the left. I jacked the truck up and pried back and forth on all the links for any slop and everything feels good. I then "adjusted" the adjusting nut on the gearbox but did not really have that much free play. What the hey could be causing the steering to veer like that? It seems to veer when you just turn the steering wheel just a tad to either direction and there it goes. Anybody had this problem ?? Man, you can't be dozing when driving this truck!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

When you loosen the sleeves, turn the wheel all the way to the left and measure the distance between the spindle *if I remember correctly, don't hold it to me* and the little bump stop. then turn the wheel the other way and measure again on the other side. make sure they are the same distance. if it is not, then adjust the sleeves again till it is. that should make sure the alignment is the same. hopefully that made some sense or someone can add to it to make it such.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 07-09-2010 at 01:42 AM.
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
baclay9

Unless you really know what you are doing on that steering box adjustment you should never touch it. If it is adjusted wrong it will grenade from what I understand.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
joebuick

Hey 10-4 on the gearbox adjustments. I followed the procedure spelled out in the Haynes manual. But the book does not give me any clue to how to address the veering this thing is doing. There is also a "steering dampener" that is supposed to control any excess side travel due to a bump in road, but don't think that is my problem,,,??
Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
baclay9

I have heard a couple of people talking about thier trucks doing this after a front end re build. I am fixing to rebuild mine and hope I don't have the same problem. Did you let an alignment shop do the final alignment on it?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
joebuick

Hey Guys,,, I got my steering wheel centered with your help..!!!!!! THANKS. It's easy when you know what you are doing.. There is another thread that I am following on trying to resolve the truck veering for no apperant reason. There is no looseness anywhere but it still does it when you least expect it. Heres hoping.