The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
hillytim69

checking pushrod length

I had both rocker arms come off on #1 cyl. Looks like intake valve stem is damaged and corresponding rocker arm has uneven wear mark. looks like one pushrod bent and rocker fell off and knocked the one next to it off as well. Funny thing is that I had previously robbed a rocker stud from this head so my cyl head guy gave me one from his spare parts bin. It is a different brand from the rest but still correct part. IDK if this is coincedence or could the stud be bent or somehow cause this problem? Also i am now trying to check pushrod length. I have 383 milled to zero deck height (says builder) ported World S/R heads with screw in studs, elgin 1.5 stamped steel long slot rockers, .480 lift single pattern cam, hydraulic lifters and stock length pushrods. I tried putting #6 at tdc and coloring stems with a sharpie then adjusting to zero lash plus 1/2 turn but am not getting a well defined line across the stem afterwards. it seems to rub most of the ink off. If anything there may be a faint line towards the header side of the stem which would indicate the need for shorter pushrods but I can't be sure. Am i doing this wrong. At a minimum now I need to pull the head to have valve with stem damage replaced. Any recommendations how to check this pushrod length? I've never had so many problems before with all the 350's i put together. Seems like 383 has lots of little things that need to be checked out and be just right. I think the pushrods were crane or summit with welded tips but otherwise cheap stock length ones. Should i be using pushrod guideplates? Thanks guys
hillytim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: checking pushrod length

Yes you need guideplates. with that lift its mandatory. Because the block has been decked and your using aftermarket heads pushrod length needed to be checked in the first place. I doubt stock pushrods are correct.You need to get a pushrod length checker. They are cheap and all the cam companies offer one. Comps is easiest to read because it shows a length on the rod instead of having to measure it. If the rocker is torn up it should be replaced. Which side of the valve stem is hurt?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
hillytim69

Re: checking pushrod length

I will get pushrod length checker and guideplates. Guess i assumed that since i had ran these S/R (stock replacement) heads on a 350 previously with a Crane energizer 470 lift cam with no problems, that I'd be OK with this setup as well. But that 350 was stock deck height. The valve stem is more worn off to the side than up or down. The rocker arm wear pattern is also not centered but off to the side which is another reason why I suspected the one oddball rocker stud. I will replace that stud when i install guideplates just so i can sleep at night. i see lots of conflicting info on the need for a solid or shimmed hydraulic lifter. I am just finding tdc then marking the stems then adjusting to zero lash plus 1/2 turn. Not getting a definite wear line. Shouldn't this work since the lifters are already pumped up? Thanks for the help.
hillytim69 is offline   Reply With Quote