The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
jonsy

need help 72 c10 coil overs or stock suspension????

need help on 72 c10, i see some people are doing coilover shocks and getting rid of the trailing arms and front coils.my ? is what is the benefits of doing this and why do it cheaper? better ride? .my next ? is if this is the better way to go who has the best kit?thanks
jonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: need help 72 c10 coil overs or stock suspension????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsy View Post
need help on 72 c10, i see some people are doing coilover shocks and getting rid of the trailing arms and front coils.my ? is what is the benefits of doing this and why do it cheaper? better ride? .my next ? is if this is the better way to go who has the best kit?thanks
Height adjustability & small weight savings would be potential benefits.

Cost vs. the OE suspension would be the con.... definitely not cheaper vs static dropped suspension; possibly cheaper vs. bags depending on the set-up.

Better ride? Again, depends on the set-up. Coil-overs could possibly ride better vs. some alternative static drop set-ups (or bags). While other static drop/bag set-up could ride better. Depends what the starting point is....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
DKN

Re: need help 72 c10 coil overs or stock suspension????

I have not seen a coil over offer a better ride than regular coil springs. Coil-overs have a limited wheel travel. The means it will bottom sooner and needs a stiffer spring to compensate. They will cost more more money than regular springs and shocks. The positve side of coil overs is they are adjustible. My car has adjustible suspension, in the 13 years I have driven my Porsche I have never changed any of the settings from where it left the factory. The point is once you lower the truck with coil-overs you will probably never adjust it again. I recomend lowering it to the hieght you want with regular springs or using air bags. Air bags can be adjusted easily from the drivers seat with less effort than adjusting the volume on your stereo.

Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote