The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #26
BillyBlaze

Re: My 73 saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
looking good BillyBlaze! nice transformation... just 1 thing though, that air cleaner is known as a fire starter. looks cool and all but i'd get another to be on the safe side.

its just like the glass fuel filters... ask me how i know.
Thanks! Thats good to know, how exactly does it catch fire?
Is it from backfiring through the carb?
I was going to stick with the original air cleaner but forgot to get the banjo fitting and the fuel line was in the way of the OEM setup.
guess I will buy the banjo fitting and get the round air cleaner going again.

Thanks for the nice compliment, I am digging the transformation.
I added glasspacks and a new exhaust from manifold back and it sounds very very nice.
BillyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #27
BillyBlaze

Well, everyday i drive the truck it seems to perform a little worse rather than better.
Now I have exhausted my funds and I have a ****ty running truck.

It's the same thing, I hit the gas and the 4 barrels are either not opening up or when they do the engine gets louder but doesn't go any faster.
Also now we are back to the backfiring problem when I get on it.

A friend of mine told me he thinks I have a vacum leak in the brakes somewhere as the brakes work, but not as well as they should.

This is my first Chevy, I dont really know what is wrong or what to expect.
All I know is my 07 Mazda Miata can outrun it on a strightaway....and that just don't seem right for a 454 NEW Motor

I REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP, are there any new ideas considering the new info that this is yet another Carb and same exact problem.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #28
menace121978

the filter is known to catch fire on a back fire.

so 1st things 1st... to check for vacuum leaks grab a can of carb cleaner(please be careful spraying around the dist. cap) and spray around the base of the carb and around and on any vacuum lines, and intake manifold while its idling. listen for a change in idle while spraying. it will either raise up and smooth out or start to stumble. thats where your leak is. next make sure your timing is set with a timing light. next hook a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum. (the guages are cheap from any autoparts store) your looking for between 18-22psi w/ a steady needle. when you crack the throttle it should drop 2psi and jump to around 25psi. that is a good running engine. a low steady reading (8-14) is usually valve timing. (13-16) is usually ingition timing is off. needle floats between 12 and 16 adjust the idle screws. there is a ton you can learn from a vacuum gauge. more than i have listed from burnt valves to spark plug gap to close. its helped me diagnose problems fast and easy. and its a great tool for someone just learning.

note: these are the 1st things i do when something doesnt seem right...(with a new motor the obvious things like new plugs and wires should already be addressed) its usually trial and error and i have to go back and forth between the timing and carb adjustments. btw, what carb are you running? and are you sure the tranny isnt slipping?

i'm sure others will chime in and help with more suggestions and if anything isnt right in what ive posted... good luck man! Dennis

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list

Last edited by menace121978; 09-06-2009 at 10:55 AM.
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #29
BillyBlaze

Thanks Dennis, thats a lot of good info....I will go get a gauge tomorrow.
I dont think the tranny is slipping, just had it gone over....all seals and filter, new fluid etc and everything seemed to operate well and function as designed

I am running a Edelbrock Performer 750cfm carb, it's new as well as the intake manifold and carb plate and fuel lines as wellas fuel pump plugs wires coil cap points etc.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #30
BillyBlaze

ok, got the truck running great!
had to take it back to have the manifold gasket replaced and the exhaust tube packing replaced at the manifold.

so I bought some Sylvania Silverstar headlights and now I have another problem, it seems that the conventional headlights have longer posts on them than the Silverstars so now the headlights go on and off when I hit bumps. Anyone else have this problem? and what did you do to fix it?
I noticed that the plugs have a shroud that curve to flush with the back of the bulbs I was thinking of taking a Dremel tool and cutting some of that off to be able to push the plug onto the posts more.

My next project is a set of HD Bilsteing shocks, and reshaping the springs along with adding an extra leaf.
And a brake proportioning valve that needs to be replaced.

I am also looking for the trim clips that attach the trim to the body, andone know where I can get them? they are disco'd through GM.

Thanks for the help!
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #31
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

I had the same problem. I replaced the light plugs in's with new ones. snug as a bug in a rug! cost was about 5 bucks for the plugs and maybe 2 bucks in heat shrink tubing!

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #32
BillyBlaze

Does anyone know where to find the molding or trim clips for these trucks?
My aluminum body trim is in bad need of some new clips but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Many Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #33
BillyBlaze

just so people know I found these clips from LMC, i guess you guys didnt know they sell the molding clips. but now the next guy who asks can search and find this I hope.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #34
RPOZ11
72 BB C30 Super LongHorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Sounds like many of the builds here on this site.

I'm with Ken, that is one clean '73. Good luck with the rest of the build!
I can relate to the heavy costs to doing my 73 (link below).

Although I am going a bit more extreme, the money adds up in a BIG hurry.

Sometimes I have to step back while doing it all.

Good luck on the finish!

HO72 build :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714492

2017 SS
RPOZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #35
BillyBlaze

Well I have come to a point (after I got everything fixed...lol) that i am going to sell my beloved truck....I will be turning 43 in October and have always wanted a Harley so i am going to try and sell it to fund the bike purchase while I can still ride

I am off to see how much it costs here to place an ad in classifieds
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #36
Zane M

Sorry your making that decision, but I understand you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hopefully you are patient, 'cause even though you have dumped a lot of coin into this project, it doesn't necessarily mean that someone else will want to. I've usually never paid more than half of what someone had put into their vehicle.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #37
BillyBlaze

yeah i know, i have a price in mind...maybe I'll get it maybe not but hope I can get close...somebody's gonna get a helluva deal tho
since I have done most of the work alreadt...lol