The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
1965 Tuned Port

Need help with disc brake swap

Here is the problem . I have a 65 1/2 ton I am putting disc brakes on . I used 85 3/4 ton lower control arms with new ball joints . Installed the correct ball joints in the upper control arms . The spindles look like the ones on a 90 pick up with 6 lug rotors . The problem is that the top of the wheel is tilted out . I have removed all of the shims and even the washer like spacers and the wheel is still tilted out to far . Also the stops on the spindles are so short that they never hit the stops on the control arm . What do you think ? Did I get some odd ball spindles ? I got the spindles , rotors and calipers at a swap meet so I am not sure what they came off of .
1965 Tuned Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
raycow

Re: Need help with disc brake swap

Your parts descriptions seem to be consistent with this write-up
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367260
but I am wondering if one or more of your parts might be misidentified.

Some years ago I looked at a project truck for sale (I didn't buy it) with a camber problem similar to yours. What I noticed was the odd mixture of control arms. One set had grease-type bushings and the other had rubber bushings. I asked the seller what they were out of and he was very vague about it. Is that what you have?

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
tripleD

find you a donor truck 73-87 take the whole front end out from under it everything crossmember and all it is a direct bolt in.ablong a few bolt holes and yuo are set.i just finished my 66 panel and it does great!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you used both upper and lower control arms from the '85 C20, then the problem is likely the spindles that you aren't sure about. Did you use the '88-'98 1500/light duty 2500 ball joints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 Tuned Port View Post
Here is the problem . I have a 65 1/2 ton I am putting disc brakes on . I used 85 3/4 ton lower control arms with new ball joints . Installed the correct ball joints in the upper control arms . The spindles look like the ones on a 90 pick up with 6 lug rotors . The problem is that the top of the wheel is tilted out . I have removed all of the shims and even the washer like spacers and the wheel is still tilted out to far . Also the stops on the spindles are so short that they never hit the stops on the control arm . What do you think ? Did I get some odd ball spindles ? I got the spindles , rotors and calipers at a swap meet so I am not sure what they came off of .
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
1965 Tuned Port

I used the 88-98 ball joints . The lower control arms are from an 85 3/4 ton and the uppers are the original 65 half ton arms with the new ball joints . I looked at a 90 half ton 5 lug today and the spindle looks the same as the ones that I have . It has a very short steering stop just like mine .
Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm thinking that using the '65 upper with the '85 lower may be the problem. I'll do some comparisons tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 Tuned Port View Post
I used the 88-98 ball joints . The lower control arms are from an 85 3/4 ton and the uppers are the original 65 half ton arms with the new ball joints . I looked at a 90 half ton 5 lug today and the spindle looks the same as the ones that I have . It has a very short steering stop just like mine .
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I'm thinking that using the '65 upper with the '85 lower may be the problem. I'll do some comparisons tomorrow.
That's what I was getting at. On the truck with the camber problem that was for sale, it was the two different types of control arm bushings that caught my attention. The person selling the truck was no help, probably because he wasn't the one who put it together. That's when I decided it was time to pass on it.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
1965 Tuned Port

Still going nuts . I tried the upper control arm from the 85 and it didn't help . I went and checked out a 90 chevy 1/2 ton and the spindle measures the same as the ones I have now . I went to the wrecking yard and looked around . All of the spindles from 88 to 97 looked the same as what I have . Before I started the swap I had plenty of adjustment for camber .With the wheel on and the truck setting on the ground the top of the tire is about 2-3 degrees tilted out . That's with all of the shims and washers taken out . Tomorrow I am going to take the uppers , lowers and spindles and put them on the 85 cross member and see what that looks like .