The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
jocko

Rally Wheel question

Folks,
Had some rally wheel caps (6 lug) that were missing the center chevrolet emblem - bought the emblems from Classic Industries (not exactly cheap, but cheaper than all new rally wheel centers) but they are much smaller than the cap center... pretty disappointed. Already attached one (sticky backing) and can't remove, but before I choke on the other three - checked on photos online, and see that other folks' rally wheel center emblems fill up the whole circle of the cap. Can someone pls explain to me how I screwed myself? I've either got the wrong rallyu wheel caps themseleves (i didn't realize there was more than one 6 lug version??) or I have the wrong center emblems (probably the case - am guessing that I have the ones off the 5 lug truck rallies). The ones I bought are approx 3/4 inch smaller diameter than they should be. Weird....

ALSO, anyone know who sells the entire 6 lug center cap for truck rallies? Classic Industry only sells 5 lug and LMC has none at all.

Thanks,
Jocko
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Rally Wheel question

Ebay. Just got mine in the mail today. 60 bucks plus shipping. They're the plastic ones but look and function the same.
My emblems totally cover the cap face. Sounds like you got the ones for the newer 6 bolt wheels that are smaller on the cap face.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The 6 lug rally's were originally installed on 4x4's. So from the factory the rear center caps had "4X4" in the center. The front center caps were open for the hubs to protrude thru. I'm not aware of who if anyone has a Chevy emblem that size. On my Suburban I used the front center caps on all 4 . Since these are the ones nobody wants I got them for next to nothing. Then what I did is cut some brushed stainless circles, and siliconed them in from the backside.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
jocko

thanks geezer and captainfab - much appreciated.

Geezer - can you describe or send a pic of what you got on ebay (and let me know if it was an ebay store or just a 1-off auction)? Are the ones you just bought 3.5" in diameter? (Or did you buy the whole cap and emblem together for $60/set? I think I did see those on ebay)

Captainfab - I agree, looks like i may just have the 4wd rear cap X4... But if nobody's makin what I'm lookin for, I have some ideas.

Last edited by jocko; 07-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
geezer#99

Yup 60 bucks for the set Complete. Pic for you.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
jocko

geezer - did you buy them from "goodiesnthings74"?

He's got another set - similar to yours but still 6 lug - only minor diff is they have a little silver circle between the bowtie and the edge - vice the big bowties you have. Yours are what I am looking for - but these are very close - and cheap. I have a set of heavy originals - and I believe captfab is probably right - originally 4x4s. Was gonna try to restore but the time and paint would cost more than the plastics. And my chrome originals have some bubbling, etc -

Is the plastic pretty thick and look like it will last awhile? Your's look great - thanks for the pic - that helps, I might give these a whirl...

OH YEAH - forgot to ask - can't tell in the pic, but is the lower part (where the lugs stick thru) painted silver, i.e. not chrome, or is it chrome. Originals had silver paint, just curious.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 07-17-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Rich 5150 69

if your thinking of these, they came from mid eighties vans.....the caps not necessarily the wheels.
Attached Images

`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
geezer#99

Ya not a good pic. Sorry.The ones I got where from MARKZPARTZ I beleive. They're not heavy. Not sure how long they'll last. I had a set just like them on my 91 Cheyenne (5 lug) They stayed nice even thru 3 salty road winters when I lived in Alberta. Yes the part where the lugs bolt thru are silver painted not chrome.
I saw an original set on ebay a couple hours ago bid to 43 bucks. Search for rally wheel caps 6 lug and they should come up.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Folks,
Had some rally wheel caps (6 lug) that were missing the center chevrolet emblem - bought the emblems from Classic Industries (not exactly cheap, but cheaper than all new rally wheel centers) but they are much smaller than the cap center... pretty disappointed. Already attached one (sticky backing) and can't remove, but before I choke on the other three - checked on photos online, and see that other folks' rally wheel center emblems fill up the whole circle of the cap. Can someone pls explain to me how I screwed myself? I've either got the wrong rallyu wheel caps themseleves (i didn't realize there was more than one 6 lug version??) or I have the wrong center emblems (probably the case - am guessing that I have the ones off the 5 lug truck rallies). The ones I bought are approx 3/4 inch smaller diameter than they should be. Weird....

ALSO, anyone know who sells the entire 6 lug center cap for truck rallies? Classic Industry only sells 5 lug and LMC has none at all.

Thanks,
Jocko
Hi Jocko if you were looking for the right size ctr cap sticker here is a link...Vernski
http://www.webxtremes.com/chevycentercapdecals.htm
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
Vernski

The center caps I found were a 4+4 Chev logos I used the back ctr caps these are the metal ones early the later ones are plastic. I found them on craigslist, peeled the old sticker off and put the new GMC logo on you can get them anyName:  IMG_2138.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  56.0 KB size you want...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote