The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
smith_84c10

power steering bracket...

my 84 came with the pump but po took bracket off for headers and lost it...so im gonna put different headers on but was wondering where i could buy a bracket that the headers wouldnt get in the way of.. thanks
smith_84c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
primetime

Re: power steering bracket...

do you have a 6 or a 8 ?
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
smith_84c10

sorry about that...its a 350
smith_84c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
red caddy

A similiar sad tail.

The PO of my '84 swapped in a targetmaster crate motor and when the PS bracket didn't fit the new style water pump, he just hacked off the tab that was in the way. There are 2 styles of brackets, (that I know of) one for use with A/C and one without. There is also a marine only setup, but it won't work with A/C.

Now the pump flops around under load. Wouldn't be such a big thing, except for the hydro-boost system. It gets pretty exciting when the belt flops off... you lose steering AND brakes.

I searched after market, and all I found was high dollar billet stuff, (usually they want to sell the whole kit, not just the bracket) Only the new style aluminum serpentine bracket is still availible from the dealerships, AFAIK. I've been scouring the junk yards, locally for 3 months, looking for a stock bracket, with no luck. Around here, anything older than '90 goes right to the crusher without a stop at the strip yard.

I even posted on this board, trying to find a used one, no joy. Might be worthwhile to ask around among the local drag racers, they like to eliminate the pump, but usually scrap the pump with the bracket still attached.

This weekend, I'm gonna pull my bracket and weld on a new tab. Seems like your best bet may be to fab one, it's pretty simple, as brackets go, but still a PITA.

Hey, maybe a board member has a box full of them under the bench, I know 2 guy's he could make real happy...

RED
red caddy is offline   Reply With Quote