The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
trevor73402

Update on the $300 suburban score.

Hey all some of you may have read where I scored a very nice 1980 suburban off craigslist last week. Well I finally had a chance to messing with it today. I put in a new battery, pulled the old plugs and squirted a lil mystery oil into the cylinders and put in new plugs. It'd been sitting for a few years and I figured the cylinders might be a lil dry and I didn't want to crank it like that. Anyway, I put the new plugs in then replaced the fuel filter. I noticed that the metal fuel line form the pump to the carb looked like it had been kinked at one time then straigtened back out. Couldn't see a crack but wasn't sure. I pulled the smog pump off and chunked it to the side. Fuel tank was dry or as best I could tell. I put in 5 gallons of fresh gas and dumped a lil b12 down the carb. I had a friend get in it and see if it would turn over....it did but I quickly noticed that the fuel line that I mentioned earlier had a half inch split on the bottom side and started gushing gas out all over the top of the intake. That pretty much put a stop to the progress for the day. I pulled the alternator back off so I could get to the back of the fuel pump easier and got the metal line pulled off. I'll have to make up another one or see if I can find one at the junk yard.
While working on it today I noticed that alot of the vacuum lines had been plugged off. Is there a vacuum line that operates some part of the 4bbl?? I'm not real familiar with "vacuum" in general and I have no clue what all the lines go to but it looks like there is one attached to the ?kickdown? for the 4bbl that has been cut and plugged.

I'll get a new fuel line and try it again in a few days. I think it's going to turn out really good. It's actually a very well preserved burb. I just want to get it running correctly and see what all needs to be done to it to make it mechanically perfect. I have no intrest in keeping it since it's not 4wd so I'm hoping that someone will want to buy it or do some trading with me for it. Once it running and he paint is buffed I think it's gonna be really sweet. It does need a new dash cover and the door panels need to be repainted, but the seat and carpet are perfect.

Anyway, I'll keep yall updated.

2008 F250 CC 4x4 King Ranch 6" lift on 37's (Spartan-ized!!)
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi Orange
2008 HD StreetGlide
2007 HD Custom Fatboy
1980 Suburban (will be for sale or trade soon).
trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
irishman999

Re: Update on the $300 suburban score.

I screwed up my hard line going from the pump to carb and could not find a replacement. I took the line to a fitting shop and got a couple of brass nipples, I ran a rubber hose between the two with a clear plastic filter spliced in at the top.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Davidmichael

Re: Update on the $300 suburban score.

man if you were closer I would be interested in this. Hope you can get it up and running with minimal effort.
81 8 foot bed made into a trailer
86 Suburban going to be made into a trailer
91 Suburban 4x4 = that's my baby
00 S10 Xtreme STD Cab
01 S10 ZR2
Davidmichael is offline   Reply With Quote