The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
rich67

shipping doors

anyone have any insight on methods and means of shipping something like doors or bed sides,etc. have heard greyhound mentioned. ups? usps? feed back would be awesome. thanx rich
rich67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: shipping doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
anyone have any insight on methods and means of shipping something like doors or bed sides,etc. have heard greyhound mentioned. ups? usps? feed back would be awesome. thanx rich
usps --no won't ship
GFX (greyhound) is best as far as price and they are quicker then truck freight as they drive 24 hours. non stop. We can get parts from Tx to Maine in two days. 5-6 days most LTL service.
They have pickup service at your business if you have one but it costs more. We shipped parts across the country for like $47.00 that would have been way over $100.00. Down side is they are kind of disorganized most of the time. At least thats what we found. If you take it to a major location its not bad but the smaller locations its questionable. We still use them on occasion.
It works great and sometimes it doesn't.

UPS freight well. I love them and I hate them. UPS ground is good most of the time

If you are planning to ship a lot get an account.

Last edited by mbgmike; 07-25-2010 at 12:02 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Jurassic-1

I have shipped a pair of doors freight. I stood them upright and screwed a 2x4 under the door to allow the outer skin to be elevated so it would not get damaged. I faced the doors apart . I then tied the door frames together. I put the doors on a pallet and made a metal brace and attached it to the hinge bolts to hold the doors down tight to the pallet. It must be tightly tied at the frames. This keeps the doors standing upright. Place cadboard arond the outside to protect the outer skins. Wrap the doors with shrink wrap. Next I would go back around with a cardboard outer cover to ensure no damage. If it goes freight it usually must be forklift ready.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
mbgmike

Shipping doors or bedsides no pallet is really required if boxed good.Shipping two at same time pallets are good. Greyhound won't use pallets. The safest way is to use a pallet. If shipping 2 or more i would use a pallet.But not with GFX.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
thepunisher

I was looking into buying an older garden tractor that was about 500 miles away and found this; http://www.uship.com/. It's a reverse style auction for shipping. You post what you want shipped, from and too and people bid on the "job". I didn't use it, you are potentially taking a chance, but the cost is very competitive. If I was going to buy a large item, some distance away I would give this a try.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepunisher View Post
I was looking into buying an older garden tractor that was about 500 miles away and found this; http://www.uship.com/. It's a reverse style auction for shipping. You post what you want shipped, from and too and people bid on the "job". I didn't use it, you are potentially taking a chance, but the cost is very competitive. If I was going to buy a large item, some distance away I would give this a try.
We have used them for vehicle shipping with great success.