The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
NC67Chev

Tailgate trim.....Please help

Hey guys,

I thought I would put my tailgate trim on this weekend, but I'm having a problem with the end clips (the ones with the castle nut). Maybe I'm just not getting it, but here goes. In the new clip kit I got, both end clips appear to be the same. The passenger side makes sense, but the driver side doesn't. It seems that there's no way to get the clip close enough to the end to make it line up when I try to put the passenger side on. Any pointers? It almost seems like the clips need to be different on each side. Thanks!

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
weircc

Re: Tailgate trim.....Please help

lets see some pictures im curious myself cause i plan on putting that trim on as well
weircc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Hi guys,

I just went and looked at the tailgate trim off my 72. I left the original clips on the trim.

Both of the end clips are identical but one is installed "backwards" of the other. In other words, the little wire spring retainers on the clips both point towards the middle of the truck.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
NC67Chev

So, I found the only old clip that I had (the other one was sheared off) and compared it to the new ones. As you can see, the two are very different. The new one is simply too long and too bulky to be able to properly lock into position. I need the correct clips. Anybody know who might have the "correct" ones?

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
tonypaul

My local Napa parts store has a large selection in their store. Not sure if they have the exact one you need, but it would be worth the trip if you have one near you....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote