The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
edflores

Disk upgrade using 73-87 parts

I removed the a- arms, spindles and brake parts attached to them off an 83 c10. I'm installing these on a 64 pickup.
What non power master should I use?
What brake lines do I use? Do i need anything else attached to the cylinder?
What "adapter" do I need to attach the steering from my 64, to the 73+ spindles? Im staying non power steering. I didnt save the steering parts off the newer chassis. Didnt realize I would need them.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Re: Disk upgrade using 73-87 parts

grab watever you can from the 83 you can use everything from even the brake lines.
you change the a arms and use the spindles but then you need the 83 tie rodsand steering link
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
edflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick5 View Post
grab watever you can from the 83 you can use everything from even the brake lines.
you change the a arms and use the spindles but then you need the 83 tie rodsand steering link
The 83 was just a bare rolling chassis, that was tossed right after I took the arms off. My boss has been throwing everything away this last week, and my parts were victims. Scrap metal money pays for lunch all the time at the shop so I cant complain. Ha.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can use a manual disc/drum master for a '71-~'76 pickup. For the brake lines you could have used the ones from the '83. Now it somewhat depends on which proportioning valve you use and where you mount it. If yopu were to use a '71-'72 prop valve, they mount right underneith the master, in which case you couls use lines for a '71-'72. Complete brake line kits are available thru the aftermarket. If nothing else you can buy the lengths at your local auto parts supplier and bend them yourself.

If you didn't get the entire steeering linkage from the '83 (the easiest solution) you will need to get new outer tierods for the '83, and then buy the special adapters to connect them to your '64 inner tierods. You can get then from CPP I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
I removed the a- arms, spindles and brake parts attached to them off an 83 c10. I'm installing these on a 64 pickup.
What non power master should I use?
What brake lines do I use? Do i need anything else attached to the cylinder?
What "adapter" do I need to attach the steering from my 64, to the 73+ spindles? Im staying non power steering. I didnt save the steering parts off the newer chassis. Didnt realize I would need them.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
edflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You can use a manual disc/drum master for a '71-~'76 pickup. For the brake lines you could have used the ones from the '83. Now it somewhat depends on which proportioning valve you use and where you mount it. If yopu were to use a '71-'72 prop valve, they mount right underneith the master, in which case you couls use lines for a '71-'72. Complete brake line kits are available thru the aftermarket. If nothing else you can buy the lengths at your local auto parts supplier and bend them yourself.

If you didn't get the entire steeering linkage from the '83 (the easiest solution) you will need to get new outer tierods for the '83, and then buy the special adapters to connect them to your '64 inner tierods. You can get then from CPP I believe.
Lame... I knew I should have moved my parts for later use. I even gave the the steering stuff away to some other guy this week to eliminate some of the clutter I have at work.
Thanks for the help. I know we left a complete front end stored somewhere. I use to part out 81-91 burbs all the time because of the parts that were shared between 73-87. Never realized that I would one day own a 64 and that parts were interchangeable that early.

Last edited by edflores; 07-26-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
nomrlz

i couldn't believe the amount of info at detail available on here for this swap
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
edflores

Quote:

SCORE!!! My boss anticipated that I would need the steering so he left the linkage aside.
Do you know what size fittings and line i need for the brakes? And how long should I buy the pieces?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

All I know is that you'll need mostly 3/16" line and some 1/4" line and a few couplers. You will also need a tube bender, a tube cutter and an inverted flare tool for bending, cutting and flaring your lines. If that doesn't sound like much fun, you might check into a premade brakeline kit from either one of the truck parts suppliers, or a tube specialty company such as Inline Tube.

Quote:
SCORE!!! My boss anticipated that I would need the steering so he left the linkage aside.
Do you know what size fittings and line i need for the brakes? And how long should I buy the pieces?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
edflores

Quote:
All I know is that you'll need mostly 3/16" line and some 1/4" line and a few couplers. You will also need a tube bender, a tube cutter and an inverted flare tool for bending, cutting and flaring your lines. If that doesn't sound like much fun, you might check into a premade brakeline kit from either one of the truck parts suppliers, or a tube specialty company such as Inline Tube.
Ok.
My boss bought a flaring kit off the snap-on guy. He made probably 2 lines and thinks he's the master. I want to learn how to use it properly, because I need to make new brake lines for my dropmembered K5 as well. I'll try to search the site for the proper coupler sizes and types. I'm going to take a trip down the car and truck shop this week so ill probably see what they have prebent.
Cant I just cut, flare and add couplers to my existing line to split my brakes, and attach them to the master? Or is that a no no?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes you can reuse some of your original lines. Since you will need to split the system, one thing that works is to use another of the original line that goes across the front crossmember(you'll know what I'm talking about once you see it). Use one for the front brakes, and the other for the rear. If you use the original end fittings, you'll need 2 inverted flare plugs to close off the extra ports.

Quote:
Ok.
My boss bought a flaring kit off the snap-on guy. He made probably 2 lines and thinks he's the master. I want to learn how to use it properly, because I need to make new brake lines for my dropmembered K5 as well. I'll try to search the site for the proper coupler sizes and types. I'm going to take a trip down the car and truck shop this week so ill probably see what they have prebent.
Cant I just cut, flare and add couplers to my existing line to split my brakes, and attach them to the master? Or is that a no no?

Last edited by Captainfab; 07-28-2010 at 01:18 AM.