The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
bark

engine swap ideas????

so currently i'm running an over cammed 350, thats bolted to a built 700r4 with a posi and 3:73 axle ratio. but its not a good driver, it spits slobbers and burps all at the same time. But when you let it loose it roasts the tires into drive,

I have an 04 5.3 and a 94 lt1 already along with factory wire harness and parts vehicles, but was wondering on peoples opinions I know that I can build a roller cam carbed small block that will run great and have tons of tourque, reuse my exhaust, trans, and acc.

My question is what should I do, I've been reading on 5.3 swaps, and lt1 swaps, but haven't found an actual total cost for doing this. Has any one every counted up the total build cost? ( I know its something no one usually does lol OUCH!!!!!)

This is a buget build too, don't get me wrong I would love to drop a $1000 bucks on shiny serpentine pulleys and mounts, but it ain't gonna happen, its not a show truck, its just something to putt around in, and roast the tires off every once and a while...
bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Redcap

Re: engine swap ideas????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark View Post
so currently i'm running an over cammed 350, thats bolted to a built 700r4 with a posi and 3:73 axle ratio. but its not a good driver, it spits slobbers and burps all at the same time. But when you let it loose it roasts the tires into drive,

I have an 04 5.3 and a 94 lt1 already along with factory wire harness and parts vehicles, but was wondering on peoples opinions I know that I can build a roller cam carbed small block that will run great and have tons of tourque, reuse my exhaust, trans, and acc.

My question is what should I do, I've been reading on 5.3 swaps, and lt1 swaps, but haven't found an actual total cost for doing this. Has any one every counted up the total build cost? ( I know its something no one usually does lol OUCH!!!!!)

This is a buget build too, don't get me wrong I would love to drop a $1000 bucks on shiny serpentine pulleys and mounts, but it ain't gonna happen, its not a show truck, its just something to putt around in, and roast the tires off every once and a while...

Why not put a decent cam into your 350 and be done with it?
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: engine swap ideas????

You would be out mounting hardware, exhaust ( headers), about $600 for the carb conversion, etc, etc.

If it were me, I would build it with the FI, get the tune, trans adapter, DIY the harness, headers/manifold, and drive the crap out of it, I think you will be surprised with the power that 5.3 will have with a good tune, then you could do a cam and such later.

Your mileage for your putter will be great!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 07-29-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote