The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
truck-collector

need help with saginaw 4 speed

Hi All! Im putting a sag 4 speed in my 68 cst. It originally had the turbo 400. Are there any factory parts (ie cross member, tail shaft yoke) that will make this swap easier?

Also, when I had the side cover off I dropped it A small spring fell off and I think another part did too ( I heard it) Does anyone have a pic of the inside of a side cover so I can see where this little spring went and if anything else is missing?
truck-collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
68K30

Re: need help with saginaw 4 speed

It was a spring, which you caught and a detent ball that go in a pocket under the reverse shift lever on the inside of the side cover. You should leave the reverse lever on the outside when removining the side cover.

Hope this helps
Bill
68K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
truck-collector

Yeah I removed all three. Well this sort of sucks. That little ball probably isnt a wear item that is sold as a replacement huh? What would happen if I left it out? Would one out of a sag three speed workd?
truck-collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
68K30

Saginaw 3-speed does not have that ball, the ball is nothing special, it is hardened but all you have to do is find a ball that fits easily into the hole in the side cover. Any trans shop should have a replacement ball ,worst case order from McMaster Carr they are cheap, you really should have the detent ball in there. By the way the spring goes in the hole first then the spring, don't be offended by this last instruction, I teach transmissions and you would not believe the places student have put that ball and spring!!

Bill
68K30 is offline   Reply With Quote