The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
raycow

Re: Axle Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Lucky View Post
I also would like to know the gear ratio of the axle I am thinking of buying. The axle is located quite a distance and I don't want to take a ride and be disappointed. Number HB0407W2 6 lug.
I can't decode that number for you, but it is easy enough to count the ratio without taking anything apart.

Put matching marks on the pinion yoke and differential housing. Jack one rear wheel off the ground, put the transmission in neutral, and the parking brake off. Turn the wheel exactly TWO revolutions and count how many times the driveshaft turns, estimating any fractional turn as closely as possible. That number is your axle ratio.

If the wheel is difficult or impossible to turn, you may have posi. In that case, jack both rear wheels off the ground and turn either of them only ONE revolution. Count the driveshaft turns the same way as for an open rear.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote