The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
jimig1

Gas tank filler neck

I have been thinking about how I want to fill the gas tank. I plan to mount the tank under the bed and I don't want to have the filler in the bed. I don't want to put in a filler door either. I think was thinking about using 39 ford tear drop tail lights on the rear fenders for break lights. So here is my thought running the filler neck behind the light and hinging the light to hide the filler(I got the idea from my dads 56 nomad). Any opinions?
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
dewey777

Re: Gas tank filler neck

Looks like it might be tight, tailight measures 5.5" X 2.9" (google search). How big is the filler cap you plan on using?
I want to do the same behind my fleetside tail light. Was planning on salvaging a filler door to steal the hinge from and adapt it to new led tail lights.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
jimig1

I have not gotten one yet the idea just hit me last night. I think that having it hidden like that is cool and it is better access then in the bed.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
OKGMC4

Those lights aren't very big and may cause finger cramps when trying to remove a fuel capthrough the teenie hole. That is a common trick for the 67-72 guys with the side marker or tail light but their lights are much larger as seen here..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=fuel+filler

Plus, you'll probably want those tear drops too low on the fender to be useful. The fill has to be higher than the tank neck. Even with a door grafted in, the height difference is only a couple inches for me and I'm worried about kicking the gas pump off every 20 seconds. Couple other ideas here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4002005

I ended up using a door so access was clear and I don't have to sling the hose over the bed rail with a bed fill.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey777 View Post
Looks like it might be tight, tailight measures 5.5" X 2.9" (google search). How big is the filler cap you plan on using?
I want to do the same behind my fleetside tail light. Was planning on salvaging a filler door to steal the hinge from and adapt it to new led tail lights.
I thought about that too after I saw a 65ish fleetside that had adapted it. Tight fit for everything to fit, led takes up a lot of room and could not reconcile liquid gas & fumes with electrical arcing from the light. I have decided to use a Harley flush popup mounted on top of the bed rail just in front of the rear stake pocket. Will run 1.5 steel pipe next to stake thru bed floor then over to the tank. I will fab a plate around the pipe in the bed to protect it. I did not want to drag the hose across the tailgate or bed top either.

Last edited by OrrieG; 08-05-2010 at 01:27 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
dewey777

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I thought about that too after I saw a 65ish fleetside that had adapted it. Tight fit for everything to fit, led takes up a lot of room and could not reconcile liquid gas & fumes with electrical arcing from the light. I have decided to use a Harley flush popup mounted on top of the bed rail just in front of the rear stake pocket. Will run 1.5 steel pipe next to stake thru bed floor then over to the tank. I will fab a plate around the pipe in the bed to protect it. I did not want to drag the hose across the tailgate or bed top either.
I haven't done much research yet but the LED should be thin in comparison to the stock incandescent and LED's are sealed so there is no arching issue. I agree things would be tight.

I can't find any better pictures than these....
Attached Images