The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
70k10swbcst

1970 C-20 Manual Clutch Linkage question

I took the clutch linkage apart when I removed the 350 engine to rebuild. Now that I got the engine back in I can't remember how to put it back together correctly. I need to know how the manual cluch linkage to frame is installed for my 1970 chevy truck. The outboard rod end with rotating ball with its threaded rod which is flattened on opposite sides (to the width that takes a 5/16" wrench) is free to rotate/spin when it fits into the enging frame slot. This is a good thing. But when I put the 5/16" wrench to prevent movement while installing a locknut I don't have any space or the thead length isn't long enough to tighten. Is there something I'm missing. I found some type of RTV or worn rubber-like bushing (broken) that came off where I think goes between the rod intself and the frame - but not sure. Even if I install it the threaded rod end still spins when I install the locknut. Is there supposed to be a locknut? Can anyone tell me what the configuration would be? And is there any tip on tightening that end without using 5/16" wrench? Should that rotating ball rod end be tight to the frame? THANKS.
Attached Images

70k10swbcst is offline   Reply With Quote