The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
jmag86

Compressor help!

Hey guys, I got in my truck yesterday and flipped my toggle switch on to kick the compressors on and I got nothing......can anyone lead me in the direction of where the promblem might lie? I checked the switch its giving power to the relay and I highly doubt that both compressor gave out at the same time, could it be my pressure switch that's bad?? I have a 5 gallon tank with 8 1/2 asco valves, dual dc 7500 compressors and a stinger 200 amp relay......why such a big relay I don't know that's what the shop I took it to put on it. So any help? Thank you guys once again!
jmag86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
blime81
Laid Lo

Re: Compressor help!

You said the switch is giving power to the relay but is the relay giving power to the compressors once it gets power from the switch? The relay should click once it gets power.

You can check if its the pressure switch by simply making a jumper and by passing it.

Are your compressors fused (they should be)? If they are they might be fused off one big fuse that blew.

Check one thing at a time.
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
jmag86

From my knowledge the relay is getting power and I checked the fuse and it is good as well. So how do I make a jump to test the pressure switch?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
blime81
Laid Lo

Not sure what pres switch you have but there should be 2 wires coming off it. To bypass the switch you only need to either unplug the 2 wires and touch them together or take a small piece of wire and use it to complete the circuit (jumper). You'll need to have your toggle switch and ing on whne you do this. If the compressors kick on when you jump it, it's the pres switch. If not it's something else.

About the relay (please don't take offense if you know this only trying to help):
Relays work by using a little bit of current (from your switch) to complete a circuit of 2 heavier gauge wires (one to battery and other to device) the other wire on the relay is ground. You can check if its working by having your switch ON and using a test light. You should get light on 3 of the 4 terminals (the ground won't light). If your relay has 5 terminals you should get light on 4 of the 5 (again the ground won't light).
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
jmag86

Thank you very much for your help, I will try the jumper and test the relay again this afternoon when I get home and let you know what happen.