The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
gopokes

Getting my new engine, now what else?

I am pumped about this new area! I have been reading till I'm almost dizzy. So I have been helping my brother do a bunch of stuff lately and he decided to pay me back with a HUGE suprise. He bought me an engine! It is a 5.3 from an 03 L59 with a 4L60E transmission out of a Tahoe. Here is the description.

THIS IS A COMPLETE LIFT OUT ASSEMBLY COMES WITH ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER, WIRING HARNESS, { WIRING HARNESS NOT GUARENTEED TO FIT YOUR APPLICATION} , STARTER,ALTERNATOR, POWER STEERING PUMP, A.C COMPRESSOR, ALL BRACKETS AND PULLEYS. THIS IS A DRIVE BY WIRE ENGINE. THE ELECTRIC GAS PEDAL AND DRIVE BY WIRE MODEL IS INCLUDED, AS WELL AS, MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR.

So now that I have the engine on it's way I need to make sure I have the rest of the stuff I need. Right now my truck has a 307 with a three on the tree. Not sure what the rear end is. I will list out the things I "think" I need, if you guys can give me any more direction that would be awesome. I know we all love pics so I will add some of those to.

Radiator and fan
Gas tank and fuel pump
Drive shaft
Steering column ?
Mounting adapter plates
Transmission crossmember?
Probably a ton of other things...

Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Ratpowerd67

Re: Getting my new engine, now what else?

if you need any help or part numbers let me know, i keept all my papers and info when i did my swap, and yes your going to need a auto column and a lokar cable shift for the trany. i used the walbro 255 inline pump with the 02 vete filter/regulator. dang thats a clean engine.....nice!
Ratpowerd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
msgross

I need the roof rack off that Tahoe!

If you don't mind me asking how much did that setup cost ya?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpowerd67 View Post
if you need any help or part numbers let me know, i keept all my papers and info when i did my swap, and yes your going to need a auto column and a lokar cable shift for the trany. i used the walbro 255 inline pump with the 02 vete filter/regulator. dang thats a clean engine.....nice!
Thanks man, I'm sure I will hit you up for some numbers.

[QUOTE=msgross;4119805]I need the roof rack off that Tahoe!

Wish I could have picked up a whole truck like that, parting it out a little would help offset some costs. Too bad my home owner association would kill me with that setting in the driveway. He picked the whole thing up on ebay for $1850. Pretty decent price I thought.

I'm looking to start picking up parts I need so as soon as it gets here I can start getting it in there. I think the first thing to order is the mounting plates. Do I have to have a new trans crossmember or can i modify mine?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
tonypaul

Are you going to redo the harness yourself and who is going to do the reprograming of the computer? Im doing a 7.4L (454) vortec swap in mine and Im shopping around for these services....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post
Are you going to redo the harness yourself and who is going to do the reprograming of the computer? Im doing a 7.4L (454) vortec swap in mine and Im shopping around for these services....
I have mixed thoughts about the harness part of me thinks I can do it myself but if I can get it done for a decent price I might send it off. There is a ton of info out there about cutting them down. I am also thinking about buying a programmer. We are putting a ls2 in my brothers 68 camero and if I can find one that would work for both that would be great, depending on the cost. Would be nice to have one on hand.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Ratpowerd67

i got my harness off ebay from techrods.....its sweet, plug and go. $375 and it controls my 4l60 also.........you cant beat the quality and price of techrods. comes with fuseblock and all............
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopokes View Post
I have mixed thoughts about the harness part of me thinks I can do it myself but if I can get it done for a decent price I might send it off. There is a ton of info out there about cutting them down. I am also thinking about buying a programmer. We are putting a ls2 in my brothers 68 camero and if I can find one that would work for both that would be great, depending on the cost. Would be nice to have one on hand.

If you are doing 2 vehicles, it would definatly be worth it to get yourself a copy of HPtuner. It will do 4 vehicles for the initial purchase price (you can add more vehicles in the future too)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
LEEVON

Do you guys need another Brother? I'm a real good helper
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
gopokes

Quote:
i got my harness off ebay from techrods.....its sweet, plug and go. $375 and it controls my 4l60 also.........you cant beat the quality and price of techrods. comes with fuseblock and all............
I will have to check them out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
If you are doing 2 vehicles, it would definatly be worth it to get yourself a copy of HPtuner. It will do 4 vehicles for the initial purchase price (you can add more vehicles in the future too)
I looked at their website, looks pretty sweet. Do you know if there are any other companies out there that make the same type of tuners? Wasn't sure if these guys are the highest, lowest or in the middle pricewise. $500 seems a little high but I'm sure it would be worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Do you guys need another Brother? I'm a real good helper
If you knew the rest of my family you wouldn't suggest that (they are all crazy).
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
gopokes

Forgot what else I was going to ask. I just finished cutting my frame and bed down from long to short, I haven't taken the driveshaft in for shortening yet luckily. Would I be ok if i have them shorten it and put a yoke that will fit my new trans? Or do I need to start looking for a new driveshaft?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Ratpowerd67

well if you have a carreir bearing type shaft , id say have another shaft made or find a used one that you can cut down. th350 shares the same yoke as the 4l60. spend the extra coin and get it ballanced also, you will be glad you did, especially with o.d
Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
gopokes

Quote:
well if you have a carreir bearing type shaft , id say have another shaft made or find a used one that you can cut down. th350 shares the same yoke as the 4l60. spend the extra coin and get it ballanced also, you will be glad you did, especially with o.d
Mine is the carrier bearing type, do you mean I should go to a one piece shaft? Thanks for the info on the yoke, I will definitely have it balanced to.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

Quote:
Mine is the carrier bearing type, do you mean I should go to a one piece shaft? Thanks for the info on the yoke, I will definitely have it balanced to.
I have the same question. I dont have my 6.0/4L65 in yet, but I do have a 2 piece driveshaft, and used to have a 200 4r (for sale) in my truck, where a TH350 used to be. I'm on air ride with a c-notch in the frame. Just curious as to if my current driveshaft will work or should I get a 1 piece driveshaft? I have a lwb truck.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I think it depends on where your're LSx winds up being and how far forward or back the tail of the trans winds up. I have 2 driveshafts, both from SWB S.S. trucks (but one was V6/manual GMC)...so I'm hoping one of them works!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Ratpowerd67

well i would say if your truck is a long wheelbase,, i would say keep the split shaft especially if your on air ride. im not sure how much room your gona have between the trailing arm x-member and drive shaft when aired out if you run a one peice. with that being said, id keep the carier bearing. if your not runing a auto trans already, just take the front half of the shaft and have it cut down and add the proper slip yoke. for those of you that have a swb like me,, go with a one piece shaft.

Last edited by Ratpowerd67; 08-06-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #17
Ackattack

Quote:

I looked at their website, looks pretty sweet. Do you know if there are any other companies out there that make the same type of tuners? Wasn't sure if these guys are the highest, lowest or in the middle pricewise. $500 seems a little high but I'm sure it would be worth the money.
efilive is the only other company that I'm aware of that makes a similar product....not sure on the price
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
gopokes

I found a guy parting out a 99 Camaro and am getting the gas tank tomorrow. Does anyone know if the radiator and fans would work out of the same car. I am courious about wiring the fans into the engine harness.