The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2003, 11:57 PM   #1
69sixpackbee

How To R & R Door Trim?

How in the hell are you supposed to get to the front retaining nut on the lower wide trim on the door ??? It's the one directly behind the hinge.
Any suggestions??
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:27 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

The lower door trim was installed before the front clip was installed.

What I have done before is to remove the other clips and carefully slide the trim forward after spraying penetrant onto the clip. You have to protect the fender chrome.

You can pull outward on the chrome as the clip will flex, reach in and trip the wire. Once the wire is tripped you can rotate the clip and remove the chrome. I use a bent screwdriver for a tool.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:35 AM   #3
Woody

69 1/2 SIx Pack Bee,

You don't! Well not without taking the hinge loose or having the fender off. I did get to it sklightly from above with a small wrench but it was very very difficult to turn at all. You need a 12 point box wrench, small in size. Seems like I loosened the lower hinge from the door and pushed it out a little, to make room.
Also use the wrench to hold the nut and spin the trim clip, as tight as needed then install the trim onto it. Or if trying to remove, get the other clips loose from the door then if you can, twist the trim to remove it from the clip. All the clips are made where they come off easier in one direction than the other, so pay attention to the direction your turning the trim.

Hope this helps. It is really hard to get in there!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #4
69sixpackbee

I was thinking about redrilling the hole for the clip inward so I can access it from inside the door and then either; [1] put one of the self-adhesive holddowns in the front position or, [2] a couple of flat head screws as in the rear most bed trim.
Seems more of a viable alternative than risking the new paint just to get the damn moulding on!. I really think that the GM engineers dropped the ball on this endeavour!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

You can use the snap in style of clip as the hole is the right size.

Whatever you decide to do, you will need to insure that the front edge will clear the fender.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote