The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
chevymadness

1983 chevy is it better to overhall or new engine!

ok on my 1983 chevy im trying to figure out is it better to overhall the engine wich my familyis pushing for for 1,000 plus labor wich is like 1,000! i know stupid right or just get a new motor crate for the same price? or maybe get a
327 ci V8 engine in it or idk what to do what shall i do ??? please any help

SORRY ITS A 1982

Oh and check in my profile ill have the truck all ready to go and nice in about a week

Last edited by chevymadness; 08-15-2010 at 08:31 PM.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 1983 chevy is it better to overhall or new engine!

well IMHO it all depends on the truck.. is your truck a show piece that is either being fully restored and is a special model? Basically what im saying is if you have a truck that is like an Indy Truck or a rare special edition in which it is worth more to have matching numbers then id rebuild it and do it right with quality parts. If its just a run of the mill truck being restored and i was planning on keeping it id get a crate motor...If its just a run of the mill truck im tinkering with to drive for now until HS is over and all id prolly just do a quick overhaul and call it good

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
cableguy0

If you dont have the space tools or experience to deal with rebuilding an engine its probably better to just go with a crate engine that has a warranty. I would be leary of a rebuild that is only a grand. A crank kit is 200 bucks alone. Machine work will be about 3-400 bucks for a clean,bore and hone etc etc. Then theres still the actual rebuild kit and cost to assemble the engine. If you have a 350 now theres no good reason to give up 23 cubic inches. Its not smart. Why not get a crate engine and install it yourself. These trucks are pretty simple and 1000 bucks for an install is a little high.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

If it's an 83, you probably have a 305. Buy a crate 350. More power and same or better gas milage.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
If you dont have the space tools or experience to deal with rebuilding an engine its probably better to just go with a crate engine that has a warranty. I would be leary of a rebuild that is only a grand. A crank kit is 200 bucks alone. Machine work will be about 3-400 bucks for a clean,bore and hone etc etc. Then theres still the actual rebuild kit and cost to assemble the engine. If you have a 350 now theres no good reason to give up 23 cubic inches. Its not smart. Why not get a crate engine and install it yourself. These trucks are pretty simple and 1000 bucks for an install is a little high.
yea well first things first this engine has about 100,000 miles i just baught it or buying it tommarow now i have a grand or two to make a nice engine.Im fine with it being overhalled or whatever my family wants to do that but what bothers me is why pay 1 thousand on a overhalled engine when you can get a new crate one for a thousand i think (i havn't priced) wouldnt it be nicer? and also probably more simpler along with adding value to the truck? as its nice and new.Im not a fan of crate engins for these trucks cause i read somewhere a rebuild motor is better then a crate wich i agree with.Also im getting hooked up on i want a fast chevy to have some balls maybe a corvette engine in it but i doubt there cheap so forget that like the one i said. I do casual offroading but its mostly for looks but i guess a 350 is enough for fun and casual games idk how much hs power or torque or what i have to do to make this truck worth the money and make it performance for a piece of mind for me i guess ill take a overhall so what shall i put on it to make it have some good torque im putting a 400 transmission in it in a few days.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

http://sdparts.com/catalog/crate-engines

Check for a 96 or later low milage Vortec. You can remove all the FI and install a carb.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
well IMHO it all depends on the truck.. is your truck a show piece that is either being fully restored and is a special model? Basically what im saying is if you have a truck that is like an Indy Truck or a rare special edition in which it is worth more to have matching numbers then id rebuild it and do it right with quality parts. If its just a run of the mill truck being restored and i was planning on keeping it id get a crate motor...If its just a run of the mill truck im tinkering with to drive for now until HS is over and all id prolly just do a quick overhaul and call it good
yea i guess ill overhall it and put some mods or something screw the crate motors and if i have money i guess its best to get a bigger or better corvette motor another time this truck not a drag truck or anything like that i just want to lift it and offroad with it just like any hs kid would or young kid but i want performance thanks for the advice
Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

I have had both rebuilt and crate motors. I would never go with a rebuild again. I know you want mega horses and fire breathing monster truck, but if you want a reliable driver stay away from a rebuild. High performance and reliable are two terms that usually don't go together in these old trucks (I now await flames from performance rebuilders.)
Some guys are lucky with their old trucks and don't need any repairs, but my guess is you will need some other repairs on your truck. Blow all of your $$ on a HP motor and you might spend your time polishing it in your driveway rather than driving it. I'm just sayin.....
Yeah, I know, I was young once too - but then we were all driving Model Ts, except for those lucky enough to have a team of horses.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
PRattenbury

What's wrong with the engine that's in it? If it's running and there's nothing horrible wrong with it, keep your pennies in your piggy bank and enjoy the truck the way it is.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
cableguy0

The biggest thing with buying a crate engine is that you get a warranty. Most machine shops wont give a 3 year warranty on the engine. Most reputable places will back up there work but theres nothing like a no questions asked warranty that stands anywhere in the country. Get a crate motor throw an edelbrock intake,decent carb headers and dual exhaust on it and let it be. A fresh 350 with the normal bolt ons will feel like a fire breathing monster compared to a worn out 305 or 350 totally stock.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
3r!c84
Badass

Go big or go home get a 502 crate motor and be done with it....

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
engineco713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
Go big or go home get a 502 crate motor and be done with it....
I like the 502 idea.....but I'm pretty sure if I dropped that in my truck I would lose some parts the 1st time I took off from a red light.....lol.
engineco713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
clinebarger

I bought a 96-up Vortec crate engine from Bankston Chevrolet in Hurst Texas last week for $1300 + $100 core, They had a special going, maybe they still do?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
irishman999

You cant always depend on an engine just because its a crate motor. About 5 years ago i helped my dad R&R a 454 crate motor with low miles that completely grenaded. The guy was paying out of pocket for everything, for some reason there was no warranty.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #15
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I bought a 96-up Vortec crate engine from Bankston Chevrolet in Hurst Texas last week for $1300 + $100 core, They had a special going, maybe they still do?
and how much did that truck put out with taht engine hp torque etc.?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
The biggest thing with buying a crate engine is that you get a warranty. Most machine shops wont give a 3 year warranty on the engine. Most reputable places will back up there work but theres nothing like a no questions asked warranty that stands anywhere in the country. Get a crate motor throw an edelbrock intake,decent carb headers and dual exhaust on it and let it be. A fresh 350 with the normal bolt ons will feel like a fire breathing monster compared to a worn out 305 or 350 totally stock.
ok wait a minute can i use my rebuild engine and some carb headers and edel brock intake,and magnaflow dual exhaust ? and will this make it 350 please answer back thanks im thinking about putting some things like that anyway seems to make a difference
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #17
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRattenbury View Post
What's wrong with the engine that's in it? If it's running and there's nothing horrible wrong with it, keep your pennies in your piggy bank and enjoy the truck the way it is.
i am just some modifications thats all
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
BigBlocksRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRattenbury View Post
You betcha - this is the way I'd go.

And start looking for a rebuildable 400. Stock crank is fine, find some rebuildable 5.7" rods (resize and new bolts) and a pair of used Vortec heads and an ebay intake. You'll have a lot less in it than a crate engine and you'll make a LOT more power.
One other option is to find a rebuildable 4-bolt main block out of a '96 up truck. You'll get to use the vortec heads and rods, new OEM hydraulic roller lifters are about $100 and you can score a stroker crank (SCAT!!!) on ebay for $250 or less shipped.
The flat tappet 400 should make about the same as the hydraulic roller 383, you just need to decide whether you want a roller or flat tappet engine. Of course, if you can find the money for a set of roller lifters and a roller cam for the 400, you'll kill both birds with one stone.
If you know anybody in Lubbock, have 'em ping me, I have a set of used headers in decent shape I'd let go of for a song and a dance, they'll wake up what you have in it until you get around to an engine swap
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
355bullet

www.sdparts.com...has killer deals

Last edited by 355bullet; 08-16-2010 at 04:27 PM.
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

make sure what you got before you order it,or the cost will go up to cover the core charge.Buying an engine up here the core must match the block......350 for 350....305 for 305............(my 2cents 350 crate = reliable)
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote