The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2003, 07:21 PM   #1
method2mymadnes

overheating problem

This problem is actually on a car I own but I figured that you truck guys are the only ones who could figure out the problem. Its a cutlass with a 260 olds v-8. Around town it seems to be ok. When I drive it on a trip of about 30-40 miles or more it overheats. I t boils the water out through the overflow tank. I have tried a new radiator cap, checked the timing, I can see coolant flowing through the top flues of the radiator when I take the cap off. Any other ideas?

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
method2mymadnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

when you start it up does the fan blow hard if not???its the fan clutch....when cold turn the fan by hand if its not hard to turn thats it,feel the little spring in front of the clutch if its oily?thats it..
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

also if the thermostat is over a couple years old might be weakening pressure of its spring may wanna change that

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Grim Reaper

Clutch fan is fine because it isn't overheating at Idle. When going down the hwy they don't do anything.

Checkj and make sure the lower radiator hose has a spring in it to keep it from colapsing. put a 180-190 Degree thermostat in it.

If the above doesn't fix it pull the radiator and have it flow tested.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
rockman20
"The dude abides"

Not sure on that new of a model, but my 69 Cutlass did the same thing. I found that there is a piece of plastic that was suppose to mount under the core support. This piece of plastic actually helped to divert the air flow and actually helped the radiator cool on the interstate. I was also missing all of the rubber pieces that were suppose to help flow the air into the radiator rather then through the fenders.

How did I fix this? Aluminum radiator with dual electric fans. Definitely overkill, but it works and I am glad that I dropped that extra weight and got rid of the engine driven fan.

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:56 PM   #6
PHOENIX

Along with what the others said:

In No Order:

What speeds are you driving at and what engine rpm when its getting hot?

How old is the water pump?
Has it leaked from the weap (?) hole at all?
Belt ok (tight and in good shape)?
It is possible that the pump is not flowing enough to keep the engine cool. Long periods of higher engine speeds will require a water pump in good condition. May be pumping enough around town, but not flowing enough for extended periods of higher engine heat.

Is the car carb. or injected?
When was the last time it was tuned and who did it?
Incorrect fuel to air ratio can cause higher engine temps.

What is your coolant to water mixture?
50/50?
Old 06-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I had a similar problem with a car. It turned out to be a plugged up catalytic converter. The faster I went, the harder it had to work to push the exhaust out, so it overheated. Around town it was fine because of the lower RPM.

BTW, I had a '79 Cutlass with the 260. I called it the "Gutless Supreme" because it had no power at all. It was much better after I put a '73 350 Olds in it. It was a direct bolt-in, as is a 455.