The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

Exclamation Need diff help.

So today I drove my truck around for about 30 mins or so. Got home, and noticed where I normally parked fluid on the ground right where my diff would be. Not much so I only expected the cover to be leaking. So I park it, and my right rear is literally oozing gear oil out of the drum, and its sprayed about so it must have happened just a few moments before I got home (thank god). I'll take pictures soon, but any idea what it is that could have gone out? I had my wheel bearings and axle seals replaced about 2000 miles back when I had my brakes done. I'm a pretty competent mechanic, I just lack space and time to work on it, so if it is fixable in a garage I'll do it myself, if it's a bigger job, i'll take it in. Any words of wisdom would be great.
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Need diff help.

is your vent for the rear venting? or is it sealed up?

driver side axel tube rubber hose up to crossmember is the vent location
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Yeah, the wheel seal is leaking, possibly a problem from the replacement?
It's going to have to come back apart to clean-up the brakes at bare minimum, they may have to be replaced too...
As cdowns said, be sure to check the vent. A lot of heat is generated by the gears and pressure builds up if it is blocked, but most of the time a seal is shot once it has been "violated".

Personally, I would:
drop the cover
pull the axles and have a look
replace as needed
check the vent....
Re-fill with synthetic fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

how did the surface of the axle where the bearings ride look when you had them out? if they have any burrs or aren't smooth the seals won't last long. Also the axle may have nicked the seal when you were sliding it in.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
mikajo39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
how did the surface of the axle where the bearings ride look when you had them out? if they have any burrs or aren't smooth the seals won't last long. Also the axle may have nicked the seal when you were sliding it in.
I didn't take em out myself, It was about 2 years back when we did it, took it to a local shop (I didn't have the knowledge to do it then) So I wouldn't know sadly, I'm probably going to tear it down myself, if my dad lets me (father-son project, but he likes the shop to do it)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
mikajo39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Yeah, the wheel seal is leaking, possibly a problem from the replacement?
It's going to have to come back apart to clean-up the brakes at bare minimum, they may have to be replaced too...
As cdowns said, be sure to check the vent. A lot of heat is generated by the gears and pressure builds up if it is blocked, but most of the time a seal is shot once it has been "violated".

Personally, I would:
drop the cover
pull the axles and have a look
replace as needed
check the vent....
Re-fill with synthetic fluid
I was pretty sure it was the Axle seal, I didn't notice any loss in braking performance, then again it's in the rears which don't do nearly as much. I checked the vent actually not to long back when I went under there to check things out, I had been smelling a little bit of gear oil about a day ago and couldn't find anything, so I went to see if it was bubbling up out the vent.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
mikajo39

It was all after a pretty short drive only about 2 miles in town, wasn't getting on it. But she has been getting driven much more. So maybe it was just on it's way out. Any idea how complicated a job it should be?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Ironangel

Its quite simple actually. Put the rear axle on jack stands and remove both wheels and brake drums. Then pop the diff. cover off(with a drain pan underneath)and remove the lock screw and pull the pinion shaft out of the differential. Have an assistant push in on the outer wheel flange and remove the the C-lock from the groove in the inner end of the axleshaft. With the C-lock removed, you can now withdraw the axleshaft. The seals are located right behind the axle flanges and can removed with the end of the axle shaft itself or a simple and inexpensive seal removal tool can be used. Clean the seal seating surface at the end of the axle housing and apply a thin coat of grease to the seal seating surface.Carefully tap the new seal into the housing using a large socket or pipe to drive the new seal squarely into the housing. I find that the end of a 12 inch piece of 2x4 works well to get the seal started into the housing and a piece of boom or shovel handle can be used to seat the seal fully into the housing. The seal should install quite easily.and if care is taken when removing the old seal, take it with you to the parts store to compare and verify the size of the new seal. Cdowns and Longhair coached me on my axle education so when they speak, I listen! Keep your ears and eyes open for a positrac, you need one with that horsepower under the hood! Dont forget to refill that thing with synthetic gear lube, it handles the heat much better than conventional lubes
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post

If you have a bare, shiny spot with noticable wear it is time for a new axle.

You can hose down the brake shoes with brake cleaner but you are probably better off doing a brake job while you have it up on jack stands.

The last time I got a 'new' axle out of a yard I pulled both sides. The one I didn't use is collecting dust in the shop for when it happens again.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
mikajo39

Thanks guys appreciate the help! I'll let you guys know what goes on.